PLC exercise suggestions

BrianNStPaul

I recently acquired a Siemens S7-1200 starter kit from one of our distributors and set it up at home to learn more about Siemens plc's, and plc's in general. So far I have set up basic coil and contact programs using NO & NC pushbuttons and some 24VDC panel indicators. I plan to do the experiments shown in Mr. Beaufort's videos, especially to see the behavior of the online monitoring. Some basic stuff with counters and timers (flashing lights, "traffic lights" etc.) will also be soon. Just wondering if anyone had some ideas for other control projects that could be studied at home for a small cost.

A small container with a incandescent light bulb (I know, rare these days), a CPU fan, and a thermocouple of some sort can create a nice demonstration of temperature control. I know that was one of the examples used in my PLC courses. It was also used in a course I took dealing with Operational Amplifiers. It was interesting seeing how the PLC could replace Relay logic and other types of hardwired circuits (like a specially designed Op amp circuit).