How to wire a 24V Actuator with reverse polarities across motor to PLC

Hi all,

I have an actuator which I need to control with an AB PLC. Its a 5 core actuator which a motor and limit switch.

To extend the arm I apply 24V across the motor. To retract I reverse the polarity across the motor. My question is how can I wire such to PLC output so I can control it?

What would the limit switch be used for in this case? Is it for positional feedback?

You'll need two DPDT interposing relays. To keep from accidentally crossing polarities and shorting things out use relay #1 to turn the motor on/off and relay #2 to control direction. Wire the normally open and normally closed contacts of relay #2 for opposite polarity. When relay #2 is off the motor polarity is forward. When relay #2 is on the motor polarity is backwards.

Relay#1 Relay#2
Pos ----] [-----------+---]\[-----+----\
| | \
+---] [---+ | \
| | O Motor
| | /
Neg ----] [-----------+---]\[---+-)-----/
| |
+---] [-----+

the Limit switch is used to stop the motor from over stroking and doing mechanical damage usually

Hi Guys,

Thanks for your help. I have 50 of these for the system and would really rather not going down the route of having to wire 2 extra realys per actuator. Is there any clever way of doing this without the relays, even if i use 2 PLC outputs?

As Most PLC outputs have a common supply and you need to reverse the supply to the motor - there may be no alternative.
Some Actuators have a reversable status (3 wire)
A common and FWD = REV input

you could use 1-4 pole relay and 2 or 3 outputs but that would notsave much wiring or space

Hi,

OK perhaps this may not be the actuator to use. Its unfortunate because we were hoping to retro fit a PLC into current system which uses these.

This is basically just a linear actuator to control a locking mechanism. Do you know if its possible to get an actuator that can do the following:

1. -Pulse or maintained supply(24V)to extend.
-Another supply to do opposite. I.e if extended retract and .vice versa

2. -Pulse to extend 1 Output
- Pulse to retract 1 Output

Hope this makes sense. Its a simple system and I really dont want to add additional wiring

Can you post or let us know what the model / part no / MFG. of your actuators are please

You could always use a relay output card on the AB PLC. You would need 4 outputs to do the same thing. The SLC line has a OW16 where the 1st 8 outputs have a common supply voltage and the 2nd out have a common supply voltage. You could use two outputs (0 and 1) for forward and 2 outputs (8 and 9) for reverse. Feed the common power for the 1st 8 outputs with +24 VDC and the second set of 8 outputs with -24 VDC.

This would allow you to get 4 actuators per 16 point card. You would then only need total OW16 cards to do what you want.

If it was me, I would use relays.

EDIT: Wow! There were a lot of posts in the time it took me to write my reply.

Last edited:
Hi,

2. -Pulse to extend 1 Output
- Pulse to retract 1 Output

Hope this makes sense. Its a simple system and I really dont want to add additional wiring

Sounds like you need a pneumatic actuator. That way it could really be done with 1 output.

Off the subject - Can you let me know where you purchased these actuators? I've been looking for something exactly like this for a while and these look inexpensive.

I could accept using 2 outputs per actuator but not 4!. I would absolutely agree it makes sense to use relays. Might need to consider changing actuators

Sounds like you need a pneumatic actuator. That way it could really be done with 1 output.

Off the subject - Can you let me know where you purchased these actuators? I've been looking for something exactly like this for a while and these look inexpensive.

Hi Bruce,

Pneumatics is not an option. Is there no electric alternative?

These actuators are very inexpensive and can be purchase from a company called AEW. We have 1000s of these in use around europe.

http://www.aeicomp.com