RSLogix500 Starter Installing Software

berrabbit5849

I am getting the starter version of RSLogix500. Can someone give me a guide as to what and how I need to do to install this software. The info I get from the internet talks about FACTORY TALK AUTOMATION. What do I install first ? Factory Talk, RS Links or RSLOgix ? This software will only be used on 1 laptop. And we don't care who uses it. The PDF instructions I got from the AB site is a little confusing.
[email protected]

Install RSLogix500.

You will only need RSLinx if you have a SLC that you want to connect to your computer.

You will only need Factory Talk if you plan to develop graphical operator programs to control a process with a PLC.

The PDF instructions I got from the AB site is a little confusing.
Of course, that is the AB Way.

Last edited:
I don't think it matters which you install first.
After you install RSLogix, and be fore you run it, you have to run Factory Talk Activation Manager
There should be a Red folder with the CD.
On the paper inside should be the Serial Number and Product Key that it asks for.
Like Lancie says you need RSlinx in order to communicate with your PLC.

Rslogix 500 is the program you use to write your Ladder Code
Factory Talk Activation Manager is really just for copy protection, and you will probably just use it the one time.
Rslinx is the communication software that you only need when you are Uploading/Downloading, or communicating with the actual PLC
Good Luck!

If my laptop hard drive fails and I lose everything can I reload the software on the new hard drive and then connect to Factory Talk to get it activated again ? I may retire in 3 years and might wont to put the software on another laptop.

If my laptop hard drive fails and I lose everything can I reload the software on the new hard drive and then connect to Factory Talk to get it activated again ? I may retire in 3 years and might wont to put the software on another laptop.

You can. In my experience you may have to spend a little time on the phone with Rockwell support, but its not too horrible.