RS SQL Datalogging

xgrunt

Lifetime Supporting Member
I am tasked with creating a plantwide datalog system. I am fairly experienced with PLCs in general but only have limited experience with logging data mainly with Trendx and RSTrend. I have used MS SQL but only to change a few data points not set up a database or front end for querying data.

I have been looking at RS Transaction Manager but keep asking the question what it does that MS SQL server does not. Has anyone used the Rockwell software if so what is your opinion on it?

We use only Rockwell PLCs contrologix, SLC, micrologix, and compact logix.

RS Transaction Manager (aka RSSQL) is not a database. What it does is transfers the data from one source (ie a PLC) and writes (or reads) from a database. It can make sure that the data has actually been recorded to the database. You can also use an HMI like FTView SE which can log data directly to a database like SQL Server.

Check out Ignition from Inductive Automation. The SQL bridge module does what you're looking for. They'll give you a free web demo that will show the product and give you a chance to ask questions. You can also download and evaluate a trial version of the software to get it running before considering purchase options.

Your follow on question will probably be how to display graphs, export spreadsheets, or maybe even generate higher level reports.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info JK. I found that out as I read more about RSSql. Surf Ty for the link I am looking into it as well.

The Ignition system sure seems like the ticket for what I'm looking for. However, we have a few older systems on SLCs communicating over DH+ that we currently bridge to ethernet in a small contrologix rack. I am concerned about connectivity because the OPC-UA module only shows drivers for SLC 503/4 using 1761-NET-ENI module. Have any of you done this with the ignition software? I have an email in to Inductive Automation but thought I might get a better answer from someone who has used it.

I would be surprised if the Ignition OPC could jump through the Gateway. You may need RSlinxPro or another 3rd party OPC driver to do so.

You can also take a look at Software Toolbox, they have a decent transaction manager.

If your transaction computer isn't already corrupted with Rockwell software, I'd try to stay as far away from anything Rockwell as possible.

What brand and model Ethernet bridge are you using? I'd recommend posting your question to the IA forum. For example, in this post they resolved using a Moxa EIP 3270 serial to ethernet bridge, which wasn't on the supported list. There may be a number of ways of connecting including:

1. The Ignition OPC-UA server. I'm not sure if it will communicate with the Ethernet bridge. I believe they support some bridges - you'd have to ask about yours.
2. It may be supported via a 3rd party OPC UA server such as Kepware or Matrikon. This would be a good way to go with Ignition as an OPC-UA client.
3. You could connect via an OPC (DA) server - probably your existing version of RSLinx, Kepware, Matrikon, etc. You would need to use the OPC COM bridge.

The Ignition system sure seems like the ticket for what I'm looking for. However, we have a few older systems on SLCs communicating over DH+ that we currently bridge to ethernet in a small contrologix rack. I am concerned about connectivity because the OPC-UA module only shows drivers for SLC 503/4 using 1761-NET-ENI module. Have any of you done this with the ignition software? I have an email in to Inductive Automation but thought I might get a better answer from someone who has used it.