1747 PIC/Windows XP (Home)

There are 2 problems that you could be facing. First, Home is not supported by Rockwell. There may be ways to get Home to work, but I think the overwhelming majority of XP users here use Professional. So home is one stumbling block.

The next problem that you could be facing is having SP3 installed. There was a file called serenum.sys that changed with SP3 which caused the PIC driver to stop working. I made a patch that swaps the file back to the SP2 version, but I have only tested it with Professional, so I do not know what will happen when running it on Home. Worst case I think it would just throw an error at you. I would have tested it but I do not know anyone who uses Home therefore I have no access to it.

Here is the patch. Use at your own risk. If you do use it, please let me know your results.

Last edited:
I read the Release Notes for RSLinx 2.42 from back in 2004, and was surprised to learn that it was the first version to support the 1747-UIC (the USB replacement for the 1747-PIC).

dmroeder has the most important point, that the serenum.sys file from SP3 is incompatible with the PIC driver.

There are a handful of others: The PIC/AIC+ driver cannot be configured if RSLinx is running as a Service, and it won't run via any sort of general-purpose USB/RS232 converter or PCMCIA serial port.

And for some computer hardware, it just won't run no matter what you do. That's why it was replaced with a USB version, almost seven years ago.

I agree on the UIC. I won't use the PIC ever again. The UIC is smaller, USB and I can use my Ethernet patch cable to connect the UIC to the DH485 port. Of course being sure not confuse DH485 with Ethernet!

Thank you. Well, I bought a Dell Notebook and it came with XP Home. I want to use this computer (if possible) due to its extremely low power consumption as it may need to run with loss of house power and use 12v battery with an inverter instead. I think I will need to get the UIC, or perhaps looking into another laptop with a com port (ugh) again, thank you for your time and information.

So it applied the patch successfully? Do you have a real serial port? What happens when you try installing the driver?

There is an after market UIC here that is a bit cheaper. I've never used it personally but the place is legit.

Hello, yes the patch was successful but RSLinx still wouldn't load it. Yes, I am using a real COM port. In my frustration, I just reformatted the hard drive and installed Windows XP with SP2. Fortunately, I got some startup disks that came with one of my Dells and it loads up to any Dell - so far (I don't know how it gets is product id). And thank you for that website, I will get a 1747-UIC later next year. Much appreciation for your time and information.

Was the machine originally loaded with SP3? I had no luck on a machine "born" with SP3, it did work on one that was upgraded from SP2 to SP3.

Was the machine originally loaded with SP3? I had no luck on a machine "born" with SP3, it did work on one that was upgraded from SP2 to SP3.

Did you ever try my latest patch? It worked for me. The latest one has a medical bag looking icon and is about 23MB. It's linked in my first post.

Yes, I had two Dell Computers with XP Pro/SP3 originally loaded and I used the CD's that came with a different Dell computer and installed XP Home/SP2. These CD's only work with Dell computers.