changing 1756 ControlLogix Controller

gbcdreamz

Hi guys,I'm a newbie with Allen bradley PLC's and we're about to change a 1756 controller with a new one of the same type, would it be fine if I'll just insert the memory card from the controller being taken out and insert it in the new one and just load the program from there using RSlogix5000, or i need to download the program directly to the volatile memory..Thanks

Which controller specifically are you changing from/to?
By memory card, are you referring to the CompactFlash card, or a memory card in particular?

Hi Oakley,it is a logix 5563 controller and yes it is the CompactFlash that im referring to..much thanks for the help.

Assuming that you are desiring to reinstall at the same firmware revision, you should be ok.

Why do you want to replace the controller?

Having a CompactFlash card in the slot does not guarantee that it has an up to date copy of the program. The memory card may not be being used for a backup of the program at all - it could be being used for Controller Logging, or there could be PLC generated data-files on it.

Don't assume it has a valid backup of the controller code, or make sure it has by triggering it yourself.

Best bet is to get online to the old controller - you may need to "UPLOAD" if you don't have the project file, then change the controller module and "DOWNLOAD" to the new one.

Last edited:
@oakley..the firmware revisions for both controllers are the same, so this is okey..thank you for the help.

@daba..you're absolutely right, just to be safe, so i'll guess i'll have to upload from the old and dowload to the new one..

thank you so much guys for the help.much appreciated

@oakley..the firmware revisions for both controllers are the same, so this is okey..thank you for the help.

@daba..you're absolutely right, just to be safe, so i'll guess i'll have to upload from the old and dowload to the new one..

thank you so much guys for the help.much appreciated

If it is truly out-of-the-box new, you'll have to connect to it to download the firmware to it anyway.