Can I get data via USB thru a Siemens TS Adapter-II module?

dmcswain

Hi folks - I'm setting up a central data historian at a customer's plant. I need to get data out of an S7-300 but the only port free on the rack is the USB on a TS Adapter II module.
The TSA-II manual says, "The TS Adapter II allows data exchange between the programming device or PC and an S7 system via the Universal Serial Bus (USB)." So it sounds like it can do what I need, but I haven't found an OPC supplier who knows how to support this connection.
The PLC is maintained by a 3rd party and I'd rather not open a can of worms by requesting hardware changes, plus I'm trying to keep costs down for the customer. So any suggestions on making the USB work would be greatly appreciated!

So you need an OPC connection to an S7-300 (which type no exactly) ?
I am not 100% sure but I think Kepware's OPC server for the serial PC adapter will also work with the TS Adapter II via the serial port. You can download a demo from Kepware site and try it out.

I've used this adapter for step7 programming through usb
I would say through Siemens SimaticNet opc this should work fine. The selection should be in the pg\pc interface once the teleservice software is installed
Look at the SimaticNet manual and make this is supported
I'm going to look at the manual too

What processor is this??

Just because there are connectors on the ports doesnt mean you cant put a CP (ie 5611) in your PC and still
connect to the S7 cpu

Last edited:
JRW, are you saying that the Teleservice adapter can be inserted in a "PC Station". That is the requirement for setting up the OPC server with Simatic Net.
The regular PC adapter cannot be inserted in a "PC Station".

Hi folks - I'm setting up a central data historian at a customer's plant. I need to get data out of an S7-300 but the only port free on the rack is the USB on a TS Adapter II module.
The TSA-II manual says, "The TS Adapter II allows data exchange between the programming device or PC and an S7 system via the Universal Serial Bus (USB)." So it sounds like it can do what I need, but I haven't found an OPC supplier who knows how to support this connection.
The PLC is maintained by a 3rd party and I'd rather not open a can of worms by requesting hardware changes, plus I'm trying to keep costs down for the customer. So any suggestions on making the USB work would be greatly appreciated!

Hi!

Maybe Softing has something for you? The TS Adapter isn't specifically mentioned, but it could still be worth a call. Link.

I coldn't make the link directly to the page working, but select
Industrial Automation/Product/Technology/OPC/Industrial Level Communication/S5_S7_OPC Server.

Kalle