motor control using a timer

vikas1947

i have a hydraulic pump which is attached to a pusher this hydraulic pump work with the help of .75 kw three phase ac motor .now i want a control system such that if i enter the time as maximum as the pusher will completed in the given time means if i will enter 60 then the pusher will complete push displacement in 60 minute if 1 then it will push in 1 minute
now i can connect the drive to the hydraulic pump and by using the drive potentiometer i can control the motor speed and increase or decrease the displacement time of pusher ..but instead of that potentiometer which show me rpm i want a display and a input device in which if i enter the time the rpm will set according to time
if any dive or interface is available in market so please tell me i am using power flex 4m:eek:

use modbus to talk from the ml1100 to the powerflex 4m and use an hmi such as c-more red lion ect... to set time converted to speed in the plc

I want a display and a input device in which if i enter the time the rpm will set according to time.
Vikas, I am reminding you that just because you set a run time, and then use some calculation to convert time to RPM, that does not mean that running the pusher for that time will complete the job. The reason is that you will have no feedback signal to tell the drive how close it is to finishing. If you had an encoder on the pusher to feed back its position (or you knew the amount of material to be pushed and also the pusher rate of material movement), then you would have something to allow good control.

Given all the above, the best that can be done with what you described is a scaling calculation that coverts Time to RPM, based on trial runs and observations of the pusher. The simplest, cheapest way is to create a conversion table or chart of Time-to-RPM, post it next to the drive, then look up the desired time in the table and set the potentiometer to the RPM for that desired running time.

Last edited:
once again clearing the task

i have a hydrulic pump which is attached with a hook and that hydraulic pump is run by a moter and that motor is run through drive ...if i set the rpm to it maximum value the motor run fast and the hook will move fast and if i set the rpm in minimum the motor will run slow and the hook displaces slowly ...suppose if i set the rpm to maximum then the hook will move in 1 minute and if i set the rpm to minimum then hook will displace in 60 minute .....now i want a display or a hmi in which if i enter the time the rpm in drive will set automatically acording to the time .example if i enter 1 minute then the drive rpm will set to maximum and if i enter 60 minute the drive rpm set to minimum ...here i am not using any plc ...

Vikas,

No problem. Select any HMI that you want to use. Add a data entry box for your Time entry. Add a tag that uses this mathematical expression to convert Time in Minutes to Drive Speed (Frequency in Hertz according to your above data):

Speed = -(Time in Minutes) + 61

(See attached chart)

Send Speed to drive analog input terminals.

Time-to-Speed.jpg

Last edited:
May not understand the question but, the first thing that comes to mind is how does the system know if it's completed the job (task). If you have a jam condition from the start, the timer is still timing and the pusher is not working? ".now i want a control system such that if i enter the time as maximum as the pusher will completed in the given time" Does this system have limit switches, or some type of feed back to verify a complete cycle?

You understand.

May not understand the question but, the first thing that comes to mind is how does the system know if it's completed the job (task). If you have a jam condition from the start, the timer is still timing and the pusher is not working? ".now i want a control system such that if i enter the time as maximum as the pusher will completed in the given time" Does this system have limit switches, or some type of feed back to verify a complete cycle?
I wonder about the others.
First get the system(STUFF) to work then worry about the HMI(FLUFF).
I am just hanging back watching.

Peter, The problem is probably a homework assignment, based on the details given, so it doesn't matter too much.

if any dive or interface is available in market so please tell me i am using power flex 4m:eek:

Aha, 'power flex 4m' is a VFD. And you are searching a suitable HMI panel that can do some math on the setpoint?

Newer saw or touched such a VFD, but our friend Google found this:
http://ab.rockwellautomation.com/Drives/PowerFlex-4M#/tab

Among the accessories here, you'll find HMIs and different interfaces. Have you checked it?

Kalle

No problem. Select any HMI that you want to use. Add a data entry box for your Time entry. Add a tag that uses this mathematical expression to convert Time in Minutes to Drive Speed (Frequency in Hertz according to your above data):

Speed = -(Time in Minutes) + 61

(See attached chart)

Send Speed to drive analog input terminals.

yes i want to know about that hmi which can do these things with power flex 4 m ....and here i am using a control system to start and stop the drive ....i just wanted to do work on drive ....if this can be done in any other brand drive please tell me