L32E Backplane problems

robw53

i have changed an L31 vs 13 for an L32E vs 19 and when i use RSLinx i cannot see the backplane or any modules conneted to the processor, it does show me a 1756 module (i think that the number) but nothing else, this is the same if i use ethernet or serial connection. the processor has worked before as it was taken from an existing project, and i can get online and the machine is running without any problems, devicenet etc still communicating with the VSD's and Flex I/O

does anyone have any ideas what i could have done wrong?

Try to right click on the ethernet module in Linx (when connected via Ethernet) and select Upload EDS. Once it is installed, do the same to the Processor.

A typical CompactLogix requires three EDS files; the Ethernet daughtercard, the Compact backplane, and the CompactLogix controller itself.

When you get a new version of RSLinx, of course, you tend to get them all at once. But if you're installing them from scratch it can be a little confusing.

If the CompactLogix is showing up as a "1756 module" in the RSWho browse, then it's definitely an EDS problem. That's the default icon and name for a device that is recognized as an RA device but doesn't have a registered EDS.

The newest controllers (v17+ or so) have the ability, as dmroeder mentioned, to upload the EDS file and register it automatically. Just right-click in RSLinx Classic and select "Upload EDS file from device". I think the only device this won't work for is the Backplane.

On the hardware side, do be sure that the 1769 connectors are all securely in place and that there's a 1769-ECR terminator on the right side.

I am back at work in the morning i came across this fault 10 minutes before I was due to finish work so didn't get too much time to have a play what made me puzzled was that it was perfectly fine in the previous environment, and it's the 3rd processor I have running vs 19 with no problems at all, what I did find out was that there was an Ethernet cable plugged in between the processor and the switch and one rj45 plug was made up correctly but the other end was crimped in reverse order i found this out brcause after plugging it in the switch the green or amber light did not illuminate I did test it with my Ethernet tester and it did not show any faults but said it was crossed

I'm fully up to date with software I am sure your correct about the eds files

As hardware goes everything is secure and it has a ECR fitted nothing has changed other than the CPU swap and i could drill down to the SDN with RSNetworx to retrieve the .dnt from it with the L31

How did you flash the L32E?

A fairly common thing that I see happen is a user flashes it and interrupts it before the Ethernet flash can complete. It can be deceiving because the main controller firmware will update, the controller reboots, then updates the ethernet card. People think that it is complete when at the first reboot when it is not, which will goof up the Ethernet port.

One way this happens is setting an IP via BootP, forgetting to disable BootP, then flashing it. When it reboots it forgets the IP address and the PC flashing it can no longer communicate.

Edit: Actually, if you see an icon in Linx with no errors, then this may not be the issue.

i flashed it via the ethernet port and allowed it to fully power up before trying to reconnect with RSL5K, i will try the EDS files as suggest and post what i find as it could be useful to someone else.

cheers Ken/dmroeder,

it was infact to do with the EDS files, i uploaded them from the processor for both the Ethernet daughter card and the processor,(ken you were correct again) it is just the backplane you crn't get the files for, in the end i didnt need the backplane anyway.
i still had the 1756 default card showing until i deleted the ether/ip driver and created it again and re browsed

cheers once again, i now know alittle more about the EDS file system

Rob