Need help from RS FT View ME & Proficy users

RussB

Lifetime Supporting Member
Have any of you RS Factorytalk View ME users who installed GEIP Proficy ME software on the same comptuer had any problems with the RS software not working after the PME install?
I was contacted by a rather upset (maybe short term) customer who claims that after installing GEIP Proficy ME Version 7.0 on two of his laptops RS FT View ME will no longer run. Mr. Customer told me that there is lots of information on this in the RS Knowledge Base, but I can not find it. I also searched the GEIP KB and called their tech support who cannot find anything about this either, they told me that GEIP has no record of this or previous case related to this.
Mr. Customer claims to have contacted GEIP and was told, sorry that is an RS issue we can't help.
Is my customer seeing a fluke or not telling me the whole story? This is what I am trying to determine.
When I asked why he cannot just re-install the RS software, he claimed that was not an option because it would take too long to back everything up first. Is it not customary to keep these projects backed up, is it that difficult and time consuming to back them up? Does re-installing RS FT View really over-write everything? If so it should be easy to switch most all RS-FT users to something different. :)

Thanks up front for any help in getting me to understand this and/or any links to the RS KB that may help.

I've got Proficy ME 6.1 and FT View ME 6.1 both running on Windows 7 Ultimate with no special configuration or issues - sorry, can't comment on Proficy ME 7.0. I installed the Proficy product first.

(I have experienced problems with upgrading FT View ME 6.0 or earlier to 6.1, something related to the Microsoft SQL product that 6.1 tries to install fubars. But it hasn't affected the GE product that I am aware of.)

Have any of you RS Factorytalk View ME users who installed GEIP Proficy ME software on the same comptuer had any problems with the RS software not working after the PME install?
I was contacted by a rather upset (maybe short term) customer who claims that after installing GEIP Proficy ME Version 7.0 on two of his laptops RS FT View ME will no longer run. Mr. Customer told me that there is lots of information on this in the RS Knowledge Base, but I can not find it. I also searched the GEIP KB and called their tech support who cannot find anything about this either, they told me that GEIP has no record of this or previous case related to this.
Mr. Customer claims to have contacted GEIP and was told, sorry that is an RS issue we can't help.
Is my customer seeing a fluke or not telling me the whole story? This is what I am trying to determine.
When I asked why he cannot just re-install the RS software, he claimed that was not an option because it would take too long to back everything up first. Is it not customary to keep these projects backed up, is it that difficult and time consuming to back them up? Does re-installing RS FT View really over-write everything? If so it should be easy to switch most all RS-FT users to something different. :)

Thanks up front for any help in getting me to understand this and/or any links to the RS KB that may help.

You customer's information doesn't seem consistent. Backing up FTView ME projects is easy and my experience when re-installing the FTView product was that it left the existing projects unaffected. (I backup first anyways).

I do know that if the computer that FTView is being installed on is part of a domain, the administrator that is installing the product must have domain administrator rights, otherwise there seems to be installation failures.