12 vdc input - PLC

bdoutney

Lifetime Supporting Member
I am looking for a PLC with 12 volt inputs, need at least 2. my first preference would like something I can program with RSlogix500 like a micrologix 1100. But no luck on a RA knowledgebase search. Needs a ethernet port so I can communicate to an HMI. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Since you are familiar with AB plc's and only need very few 12V inputs, i'd just use relays and whatever voltage you used to power the PLC. I believe AB makes little icecube 12V relays and then you can use 120VAC or 24VDC running through the relay's contact for an input. It's a little extra wiring and adds a little to troubleshooting, but i think its probably your best option.

Edit:
AB CatNo: 700-HK36A12 should work fine. Fairly cheap and doesn't take up too much room on DIN rail.

Last edited:
Hi Bill,

Would the 1763-L16DWD do the job, or am i missing something?

Regards,

Rob
That would do the job . It did not show up when I searched on our RA support site but Google found it on an AB site. Thanks for your help

some input dc card have a 1 logic when voltage get higher than 5v so most of them may be used on 12vdc

Interesting you said that. They had already installed 16 of the 24vdc input AB ML1100 there and they have all been working fine for months with 12vdc inputs from counters. Its just the last 2 machines they did started having problems. The 12v was dropping to 10.5v on a count when the PLC inputs are hooked up. This caused count error problems.

Interesting you said that. They had already installed 16 of the 24vdc input AB ML1100 there and they have all been working fine for months with 12vdc inputs from counters. Its just the last 2 machines they did started having problems. The 12v was dropping to 10.5v on a count when the PLC inputs are hooked up. This caused count error problems.

look at what can cause the drop, is it wire lenght/gauge or output driver ?