How to save values from Rslogic500 to txt

Robotroc

Hy again,

Does anybody knows how to export some tag values from rslogix 500 to a .txt file ( excel, notepad, etc ) in real time ?

i whant to monitorized some values during 4 hours an i whant to store the values from rslogix 5000 program in a text file.

It's that possible ?

Thank's a lot !

You can use DDE to store it Excel using RSLinx. Linx has information on it in the help files.

Or better yet, if you know a little VB.NET you can use AdvancedHMI to get the data out and store it in a text file (easiest) or Excel (a little more work). The driver will manage getting the data out, but you'd need to know a little VB.NET to get it into a text file.

Oh and your subject says Logix 500 and your post says Logix 5000. What is the part number of the controller that you are getting data out of?

Last edited:
If this is a one time trend and if you are using RSLoigx5000 then go online with your processor and configure a new trend (under trends in the project pane on left hand side) using that tags you want to monitor and set the sample rate and other trend information. Right click on the trend area and pick properties to select the scale, time, etc. Run the trend. After you are done then stop the trend and click the LOG button. Pick save and choose CSV as your format. You'll then be able to open the CSV file in MS Excel.

I prefer to not stay with processor online all the time ... it's another way to make this if i whant to leave from PC and don't let the proc. online ?

In the past I've used DDE and anymore, I use the driver in AdvancedHMI and write my own code to store the data. Then I can use my program on a computer that only has to have .NET framework installed (no other software). An to sweeten the deal, AdvancedHMI is free and so is VB.NET express (for developing).

If you'll open RSLinx and look in help you'll find some Excel examples and some detailed instructions. RSLinx PRO or above is required for DDE to work.