PC com port to S5 programming port (scada ) !!

ayman metwally

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi ,
iam involved in a project that i have to design a SCADA software for an old simens s5 plc (135U-928), i'm using an OPC server from software toolbox (AS-511 programming port protocol)

I can't find a suitable cable

My PC -of course- is using a (RS232 female ) com port
and The Siemens S5 PLC requires TTY ?

which vendors sell such a cable ?

Check out the PLCMan website. In the downloads you'll find "RS232 to 20mA Converter". I'm pretty sure that's what you need. You could also search the internet for terms as 'current-loop' or 'TTY' and 'converter'.

Kind regards,

Ayman,

it seems I have misread your post a little. You don't seem to be looking for a cheap alternative, but for vendors for the "cable". Well, it isn't really a cable, but a converter. Check out Westermo , that's one of my favourites when it comes to converters. They also have a lot of information available for download on their website.
But if you're up to it and the distance from PC to PLC is less than 15m, the DIY-interface on the PLCMan website is definitely a very good solution.

Kind regards,

Thank you jvdcande for attention & help ,

I also found that SIEMENS sells such a unit ,

Its part no. is : 6ES5 734 1BD20

and there are other alternatives such as Autem ( part no. ANA1500E )

and your suggestion Westermo

and one more thing I want to be sure that i didn't misunderstood :

This converter is a : ( cable + converter ) ,

so it's one piece and I don't have to purchase other accessories.

Thanks again for help .

Ayman,

the Westermo units are only converters (stand-alone or rackmounted), the stand-alone version with terminals at the TTY side and a D-connector at the RS232 side. For the rack mounted unit I don't know.

The Siemens device is complete, e.g. cable + converter. Siemens usually is rather expensive, certainly now because they're fading out everything connected to S5.

Another source is IBH-Softec, a German firm which also has S5 and S7 compatible software. Select the English version and go to Accessories, then further to Current Loop Converter and Constant Current Adapter. They're usually better priced than Siemens (I know for the software they are).

Kind regards,

Jean ,

May I thank you or your great help , I really appreciate that .

And you are right , SIEMENS is extremly expensive ,

They sell the cable here in Egypt for 2200 pounds !!

I will choose from the other alternatives .