H0-Ctrio and DL06 PLC Stepper System

Erica_S

Hello all,

I am currently trying to write a program that will use solenoids to push buttons on an interface board and a stepper motor system to rotate a dial
18 clicks forward (405 deg) and 17 clicks backward (382.5 deg). The system I chose was an Automation Direct D0-06DR PLC, H0-Ctrio card, STP-DRV-4850, STP-PWR-4810, and STP-MTR-34066. Which according some documentation will work for my purposes... http://www.automationdirect.com/static/manuals/surestepmanual/appxb.pdf

The main issue I am having is programming the whole mess. The H0-Ctrio card has it's own software (CTRIO Workbench) and the STP-DRV-4850 also does (SureSTEP Pro). What sort of programming set-up would be preferred for the turning of the dials? I don't neccesarily need code, but I need to understand how this system is supposed to mesh together.

Thanks.

At a minimum with the CTRIO workbench you will need to set up the Config IO section and the I/O map. Most people use Step/Direction for the outputs.

Once you have the CTRIO workbench filled out, you need to write the file to disk to save off a copy. You will then need to power up the PLC, make a programming connection to it and write the configuration to the module (Write Module).

Next you will need to get the Sure Step Pro software and get connected to the drive. Make sure that the drive is set up for Step and Direction inputs. Set the motor size and the amount of micro stepping needed. Write this to your hard drive and download to the stepping unit.

Next you will need to wire the CTRIO and the Stepping unit together. I prefer to used a shielded two to four pair wire for this to keep noise down. There are wiring diagrams in the Sure Step manual.

Finally you will need to actually write the code to move the stepper motor. The Hx-CTRIO manual has flowcharts and ladder examples toward the back of the manual for this purpose. The flowcharts help a lot trying to understand how the ladder example is functioning.

I would suggest starting off with Dynamic Positioning until you get it to move since it is fairly straightforward, then work your way toward figuring out which example will actually get you where you want to be.

If you get stuck, ADC tech support is available Monday through Friday 9am to 6pm Eastern time. It is a free service and the techs are glad to help you out with any questions that you might have.