Connecting AB Micrologix 1000 with PC through AB 1761-NET-ENI module over Ethernet

hrauf

I want to connect an AB Micrologix 1000 with my PC through AB 1761-NET-ENI series D module (no other deive in the network). PC TCP/IP settings (manually configured) are as follows.

IP Address: 192.168.1.250
Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
Rest is blank

Before configuring the ENI module, I tried to connect and configure its ethernet drivers through RS linx classic v 2.5. Settings in RS Linx Driver are as follows

IP address : 192.168.1.254 (factory default)
and also 192.168.1.253 (when the above one didn't wrk)

After RSWho command, it recognized the node but as un-recognized device in the driver tree ( name with a yellow question mark and red cross).
Also i was getting no response thru PING from CMD window.
Presumming it to be an IP Address issue, I tried to configure the IP address of 1761-NET-ENI thru BOOTP utility but it gave me an error of unable to connect when trying to initiate a BOOTP session (after entering necessary inputs).
After this, i tried the ENI configuration utility over ethernet in conjunction with COM port redirector software. Com port was successfully redirected but when tried to load from ENI through Configuration Utility, it gave an error of unable to connect to the COM port.
I presume that it is an IP issue but i am unable to configure or view it through any method by book. Please tell me if i am ignoring a simple setting or else.

Regards
HRAUF

I want to connect an AB Micrologix 1000 with my PC through AB 1761-NET-ENI series D module (no other deive in the network). PC TCP/IP settings (manually configured) are as follows.

IP Address: 192.168.1.250
Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
Rest is blank

Before configuring the ENI module, I tried to connect and configure its ethernet drivers through RS linx classic v 2.5. Settings in RS Linx Driver are as follows

IP address : 192.168.1.254 (factory default)
and also 192.168.1.253 (when the above one didn't wrk)

After RSWho command, it recognized the node but as un-recognized device in the driver tree ( name with a yellow question mark and red cross).
Presumming it to be an IP Address issue, I tried to configure the IP address of 1761-NET-ENI thru BOOTP utility but it gave me an error of unable to connect when trying to initiate a BOOTP session (after entering necessary inputs).
After this, i tried the ENI configuration utility over ethernet in conjunction with COM port redirector software. Com port was successfully redirected but when tried to load from ENI through Configuration Utility, it gave an error of unable to connect to the COM port.
I presume that it is an IP issue but i am unable to configure or view it through any method by book. Please tell me if i am ignoring a simple setting or else.

Regards
HRAUF
I just went through this issue. I used the ENI utility software. I had a hard time connecting to it. I read through the manual and a small section explained that in RS Linxs you have to stop the comport you are using. Basically what i did was went to RS linx -> communications-> configure drivers, and then stopped everything. Then I connected my serial cable to the ENI and started the ENI utility software. In the ENI utility software, I went to the reset tab, and under "Load from" I clicked on ENI. That reset everything and connected to the ENI. At that time i was able to correctly configure the ENI.

Okay, the yellow question mark indicates a missing EDS file.

The red X means the device is no longer available (as far as RSLinx is concerned). RSLinx will tend to "remember" all the devices that it has "seen" on the driver. If you right click the node and "Remove" it, if it is indeed really there and able to be seen by RSLinx, it will reappear.

Another thing that comes into play is the driver type. If you are using the Ethernet Devices driver, you need to add the IP address of the NET-ENI to your browse list.

If you use the Ethernet/IP driver, it should see everything on that subnet.

Make sure your PC NIC is on the same subnet as well.

Regards
HRAUF

It's been reported that the NET-ENI utility is sensitive to firewalls and other things and some folks claim that it just doesn't work sometimes. In those cases, you may be forced to connect serially to the NET-ENI in order to manually set the IP address. BootP servers can be difficult sometimes too with modern networks and PCs. I haven't had either trouble, but I have had some stubborn NET-ENI modules that would lose their configuration after weeks or months. We have had better luck here with the DigiOne IAP.

Once the IP address is set, you must turn OFF BootP, or the device will wipe out its IP address and start sending requests again following every power cycle.

That's what I recall off the top of my head. There should be some more detailed threads on this subject if you use the search tools. I suggest searching for posts including "NET-ENI" by user Ken Roach. He's the master guru with A/B communications here.

Last edited: