PLC Test beds

Snow Dog

I hope some of you can help me. I want ot set up an AB PLC test bed. My work wont offer any help with equipement, so I have ot fork out the money myself. We use SLC 500's and Micrologix (sp) controlers. Where would I find some of these parts (and the software) to be able to set up at my home? I am teaching myself the programing stuff by using the information and text books availible on the net. I am an electrician at a sawmill, and am well versed in ladder logic and motor controls, but I want ot perfect my programming before I take on the responsability for doing that. Any help would be appreciated.

I have noticed a lot of post about "free" stuff. I am not looking ot get anything for free, I just want some advice on the most economical solutions. I don't want ot spend hundreds of dollars on stuff that wont help me learn to program.

Last edited:
You could take a look on Ebay. I've found great deals on Siemens stuff.

Also, I'm not sure where you live, but you may want to check out some machine surplus places, or even junkyards. I've seen customers throw out entire machines before, complete with PLCs, screens, everything. By keeping your eye out, you'll eventually be able to find everything you need just for the labor in carting it away.

Keep an eye on ebay for used equipment, also talk to your local AB rep about a RSLogix demo or lite version. Also be sure to get a PIC box or necessary cables for downloading. Each processor seems to require a different cable.

You might ask your distributor for some names of local integrators. They might have some "junk/obsolete" equipment laying around that you might could get cheap along with some advice.

little Micrologic

Allen Bradley has a 'little' micrologic available in the sub-$200
range, and, I seem to remember someone on here saying that the
software for this model only was very inexpensive as well....

-or-, go where the eBay sellers go... to an industrial
auction. They are fun, and you can get a pile of
stuff for not much dough.

The best solution for your cash is to buy an a-b micrologix on ebay under $200.00 bucks and you can download rslogix500 starter software for micrologix free on ab.com website goto downloads.

The MicroLogix 1000 10-point I/O unit is approximately $99.00. The software for this unit is free.

OG

Software Part #: 9324RL0050ENE
Micro Part #: 1761-L10BXB

I bought most of my at-home training stuff on Ebay but Forum members were a big help on specific questions like what cable to use or what module is compatible with