Building a network to collect PLC info using VB.net

lenz0799

Hello,

We are a group of technicians trying to setup a network to read info off our our PLC's. We have 5 large cyclotrons all controlled through HMI, some use Ntouch some use RSlinks. We have a lot of experience as technicians, and we have always wrote our own software but have never set up anything quite like this. We are the type who like to measure twice and cut once so I'm hoping someone here may be able to see any flaws in our logic on putting this together.

We want to be able to access some info from each machine from the PLC's and from several excell spreadsheets and CSV files. We want a different screen for each machine bringing in its data to be monitored/displayed.

We plan on setting up 5 different computers running windows 7 on a simple file sharing network. We are going to use OPC Data.Net to talk between the PLCs and one of these computers. We plan on writing our software in VB.net to create our interface. One computer will store all of the data we need in a shared folder to allow the other computers to access it as they need. We plan on about a total of 100 inputs from the PLCs and it also needs data from two different spreadsheets and a CSV file. We hope to have all of this data reading in real time.

Our concerns, having never actually built something like this, are as follows:

1. Will this set up lag badly? If so, what's the best thing I can do to fix that?

2. Will Windows 7 be able to handle everything we need it to do? (company doesnt use server)

3. Is there something we missed that will stop us dead in our tracks?

4. Are we being silly using VB.net to do this? Would a more traditional HMI language be better(i.e. ntouch)

I would definitely use a traditional hmi. why reinvent the wheel? and from your companies perspective, if your group all moves on it will be easier to get support from a vendor and also probably cheaper to implement in the long run.

$$$

We want to try avoiding having to pay for all the added licensing using a traditional HMI software would cost. We want to get this working, but do not think the company would fork over the licensing fees required. We are having to work with what we have already.

I would invest in some form of DB instead of sharing between Excel files.
Both MySQL and PostGreSQL offer no-cost versions. Then you would simply need to have your VB.net program use ODBC to run the queries you need for your display software.

You could also use SQL Server Express.

Archie(on the forum) wrote a .net HMI to do similar things already btw. If the destination is more important than the journey you might look into his software.
Personally, I enjoy the journey and think rolling your own is a neat idea!

I would recommend that you don't reinvent the wheel. Building a system like that from scratch will burn considerable development hours of effort.

Archie's Advanced HMI would be a good start. Also, you may want to start with reference code from the OPC Foundation. You can write code that communicates with your PLCs via your existing RSLinx OPC server.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/advancedhmi/

Personally I would use Microsoft SQL Express and Reporting Services. This would house the data and allow custom reports to be created, and accessible through a web interface. Plus the data can be saved off to excel/pdf...from the report.

You have existing HMIs in place, pending the software type I would look into writing scripting that handles the data collection from the PLC to the SQL database.

As far as the data logging goes - it's typically cheaper to just purchase a product that does that - unless you have lots of time on your hands. For example, the Ignition SQL Bridge Limited, which supports that kind of data logging for unlimited tags is $950 (free OPC-UA server which would work with AB ethernet enabled PLCs, or another $300 for the COM module to support the RSLinx DCOM connection). If you're going with the OPC-DA and .NET model, FactorySQL (now legacy), runs $1995, which supports that and a whole lot more through RSLinx.

In any event, writing an application from scratch that continually runs and logs PLC data to SQL databases is a PITA. We could go in greater depth in another thread if you'd like. There are many mature products that do this function at a reasonable price.

Look at Kepware. Their software is a little pricey, but once it's in, you are done. Forever (other than tweaking it for data). That's good stuff.

It's the original wheel re-re-invented. There's no sense in laboring on your own when someone else has done it.

You could also use SQL Server Express.

Archie(on the forum) wrote a .net HMI to do similar things already btw. If the destination is more important than the journey you might look into his software.
Personally, I enjoy the journey and think rolling your own is a neat idea!

Just watch out if you want to query your DB via the network if you use SQL Server Express instead of the SQL Server. I don't think it is possible...