cable problems

shmoo

I need help please! I have a compaq presario 1510T and
it has two USB ports and one Parallel port and I need
to connect it to a SLC500 Plc,model #1747-L30D. Does
anybody know what I need to be able to do this.

Thank you.

older may be better

Schmoo,

My gut feel is that you need another (older) pc with real serial ports and win98se.

A presario is a home market pc. You might get it to work with a usb to serial adapter, but at what cost in time and frustration?

regards,

Thomas

SLC 500/L30 is DH485 only.

1747-PIC and AIC+ adapters will not work with USB to serial converters.
You have 3 options:
- 1747-UIC (if you can find one)
- PCMCIA PCMK/B card with DH485 cable
- Find older PC with a serial port

Contr_Conn said:
SLC 500/L30 is DH485 only.

1747-PIC and AIC+ adapters will not work with USB to serial converters.
You have 3 options:
- 1747-UIC (if you can find one)
- PCMCIA PCMK/B card with DH485 cable
- Find older PC with a serial port

What about a PCMCIA card with RS232 ports? Will the PIC or AIC+ work with those? The cardbus tends to be faster and more integrated with the operating system than the USB ports.

We've heard on this board that the problem with USB converters is in how Windows handles the data traffic and message structure.

AK

AK,

It's surprising, but the 1747-PIC/AIC+ driver doesn't work with PCMCIA serial ports. I've tested a handful of PCMCIA cards from various vendors and none work with the PIC/AIC+ driver under a Windows NT based operating system.

For shmoo, his best bet is a 1747-UIC or a 1784-PCMK and 1784-PCM4 cable.

Or a computer that supports last century's communication methods.

I have the PCMK card and all cables that I have considered selling because I havent used it very often. Then I read posts like this and I know I can not let the PCMK card get away.