Some help needed! choosing the right PLC set for step motor control

RomeoCostanza

Hello
I am building a machine and i would like to get some suggestions about the right plc to choose for my application.

My application:
I need to control one step motor movements.
the input signals should be
-1 encoder
-1 sensor
-1 button
the output
-1 step motor (step/dir signals)
and the operator should be able to input some numbers (so i need a simple interface).
I already have the stepmotor and driver, i just need some help choosing the PLC.
Consider that want something simple to program (simple language)
any suggestion?
ps: i found some LOGO! starter kits with interface. Maybe i can use it? someone know if it's possible to control step motors with precision?

Please tell us the accuracey you need
I would recomend that you choose a stepper motor that comunicates directly with a matching PLC
OMRON
Mitsubishi
there are others
Siemens etc.

LOGO - is a smart relay - not certain about its ability

If all you need is to control one or more stepper motors, there are custom devices that are simpler to use than PLC's, and less expensive. This is a common need in CNC machines and there are inexpensive systems used by hobbyists. Most are controlled by PC's where you specify a desired motion profile. Search "small CNC" to find user sites.

Unless the driver loses a count, the resolution is always one motor step. The accuracy depends on the gearing after the motor. Direct drive of a ball-screw is common for accurate CNC. Even better is to have a separate position feedback sensor, such as from a linear optical encoder, and control to that.

Please tell us the accuracey you need
I would recomend that you choose a stepper motor that comunicates directly with a matching PLC
OMRON
Mitsubishi
there are others
Siemens etc.

LOGO - is a smart relay - not certain about its ability

Ok, i explain it better:
The machine is a paper relief applier. (make marks on paper - roll paper)
It is an old machine to make regular textures on paper.
There is 2 main iron cylinders (botton and top). The top cylinder has an engraved removable mark (like a symbol or logo).The speed of these cylinders is constant (common 3phase motor), but the mark cover just a small part of the top cylinder (so, the paper should normally have regular intervals between the marks). There is a tracking roll after these cylinders (syncronizes with the machine).
Usually the operator put these marks attached with glue, and they have different sizes that covers different perimetral sizes.

What i am trying to do is to de-attach the feed system from the machine transmission and add a step-motor for syncronizing the paper just when the mark is touching the paper, and stop the paper when the mark is turning (not touching).
Doing this, i can make smaller mark intervals on the paper.
-could you understand? (toilet paper relief - making the reliefs very near)

As i can't change the mechanics of the machine, i was thinking to control the tracking roll after the cylinders on order to pull the paper in regular intervals (i should input on a display).

for this i will need:
- the encoder (for reading the cylinders speed and syncronize the right speed)
- capacitive sensor (just to give an orientation for when the mark is going to touch the paper)
- step motor (for tracking the paper)
- And the damn controller with interface!

I am looking for a low cost controller that can control these movements. (i already have everything, the motor, driver, sensor and encoder.)

I have already made several systems with 1 encoder and one step motor, and I use siemens s7-200.

They are not very expensive, some cpus (214 for example) already have fast inputs (for the encoder), and fast outputs (to control the step motor).

It even has a wizard that helps you to define the pulse train output for the step motor.

For the hmi, i don't normally use siemens, but Beijer. They have a very good relation price/quality and they are totally compatible with siemens.

I have already made several systems with 1 encoder and one step motor, and I use siemens s7-200.

They are not very expensive, some cpus (214 for example) already have fast inputs (for the encoder), and fast outputs (to control the step motor).

It even has a wizard that helps you to define the pulse train output for the step motor.

For the hmi, i don't normally use siemens, but Beijer. They have a very good relation price/quality and they are totally compatible with siemens.

In fact i found the Siemens Simatic S-7 1200 model 214 like you reccomend and indeed it might fit.
I saw also de 211 model with high speed in/out, and it is cheaper... do you think i can use it too?
(i found in china cheaper than in germany... wondering how it is possible...)

cheap is arduino used for driving robots and cnc machines.

i was thinking about an easier language to work with... not really C or any native language. Besides i need a standard product, that can be found anywhere in world.
Siemens offer the STEP 7 software and i believe it shouldn't be so difficult. but thx anyway
do you have any experience with siemens?

scared after prices check...

well, indeed it's quite too expensive... the S7-1200 214CPU is around €400, plus the programing software Step7 €450 for one basic licence, plus a simple HMI €180, plus power source €100... over €1200 for a simple operation with one step motor is not really exciting for a engineering student.
I am not even cosidering the other stuff like step motor, driver, sensors etc...
I also checked the courses for working with this Siemens series and they all are very expensive too...
Nevermind, i will look for other solution.
Someone knows about the Arduino? there is any CLP with HMI (all-in-one)?
any suggestion is welcome.

Look at the VIPA range for price
these are PLC's built by former Siemens Engineers
The can be programmed by Step 7 also
- I don't know how they compare to the 1200

someone knows YUMO PLC?

hello,
i just found a chinese supplier: YUMO
someone knows this brand?
They have very interesting models such as XMP2-32RT-C
it is a PLC with color touch screen integrated for less than €300!
it looks cool and has also fast in/out for motion control.
someone knows how to program it? they suggest the "winTouch" or "XCP Software"
it can use ladder, c or block.(maybe not really practical for a beginner, but if i'll save a lot of money i'll consider to study this brand also for future projects)

Last edited:
Look at the VIPA range for price
these are PLC's built by former Siemens Engineers
The can be programmed by Step 7 also
- I don't know how they compare to the 1200

thanks for the suggestion. indeed they follow the siemens line.
i contacted their office in my area asking for help choosing the right model. i'll check prices now.