FTView 6.1 VBA Crash

DTran

Hello, I posted a similar question on the Rockwell Forums but I'm sure this site gets more visitors (y)

Anyway, I currently have VBA code that takes a few values from tags in KepServerEx (located on the same FTView Server) and writes it to tags in an RSLogix 5000 PLC. The odd thing is that the VBA code works on the server computer but when running the client on a client computer it says it cannot read the kepware tags and crashes. The server PC is Windows Server 2008 R2 and the client PC is XP.

I will note that the client PC has kepserver on it as well from before and I have yet to shut the kepserver down and try the client again.

Currently my setup is having studio open on the server running a graphic with the VBA code to write the tags and the client running everything but the VBA code :ROFLMAO: obviously this is not ideal.

Well in FTView VBA code always runs on the client. Do you test running it in Studio? could it be a permission issue?

Well in FTView VBA code always runs on the client. Do you test running it in Studio? could it be a permission issue?

On the server PC, I ran a client and ran it in studio and it all works. Permissions issue possibly, I'm trying to get another relatively new computer with client on it to see if it works on that computer.

I solved the problem! It turns out that the client dislikes using direct tag references. Thus, it couldnt find the tags to read the values. So I made tags in FTView and pointed them to the tags in kepware. Figured it out by making a number display that used a kepware direct tag ref, it didn't work... which was a fairly big clue.

It still might be an issue in Kepware that keeps it fom working the way you first had it set up. I had the same issue and when I called Rockwell they had me change a setting in the Kepserver. It was someting about remote access to the tags and the setting was on local. This might be why it only works on the local server. They said that it was a new default setting. I can't remember where the setting was but I can check in the morning.

I think I found where the setting is but I am not sure where it is in server 2008. It is in the Administrative tools, component services,DCOM config. Look for the Kepserver entry and open the properties. Under the security tab there is a section that says access permissions. Click edit and see if remote user is checked. This fixed my problem other then the tag update was slow and you can change that is Kepserver.

I had server 2008 but had too many problems with the install so I went back to server 2003. It was very early on in the server 2008 Rockwell support.