Configuring Bluetree/Sixnet Cellular Modem for SCADA

jols007

At my control site with a standalone SCADA network I've connected a Bluetree 6621 (BT-6621 VZ) cellular modem. I have another modem here that I plan to use at a remote site once I confirm it's properly configured and the ethernet connected RTU can be polled.

I assigned both modems LAN IPs similar to our current network and to eliminate network switches, routers, etc as part of the problem...I have bypassed all of them and simply connected the host cell modem to a Windows 7 PC via ethernet. I am able to do the following: a) ping the LAN of whichever modem is plugged into the PC b) open up a telnet session to whichever modem is plugged into the PC and successfully ping (via at+bpingh command) the other modem's WAN address wirelessly.

Some other information: Verizon set up a restricted IP connection for me with static IPs. All that I know about what this means is that I can't just open up a browser from any device connected to the internet and access these modems. I'm not sure if this "IP restriction" is causing me issues? Verizon recommended I only use a remote modem accessible to the internet and simply hop over the firewall to enter my SCADA systems private network. Given the severity of the work at hand, I decided that method was not secure enough so I chose to setup the M2M (machine to machine) method that I described above.

Does anyone have any ideas here? I would think pinging the remote modem's LAN IP from the host modem/PC and thus any device behind the modem is what I'm looking for, that way I can start sending/receiving remote signals to/from the host site. I contacted VZW to see if there were any ports being blocked and they said no. If I daisy chain the modems via ethernet cables I can ping the remote unit, I would expect Verizon's wireless piece would act the same.

I have a detailed sketch if anyone nice enough to help would like to see it. Thanks!