hello

You can hire unskilled labor to stand around and control the process manually.

You can use a Cray computer to provide high speed data capture and faster than real time adaptive control.

You can use relays and blinking lights.

PLCs are always, without exception, the very very best control technique. Most competitive system manufacturers are abandoning the market and converting their assets to entertainment stocks. None of them are investing in print media, as that information technology is totally useless to anyone under the age of 45.

Never again

I was a Beta site for the original Bo-Peep package. The d****d thing lost all the sheep and couldn't tell where to find them. When I called tech support about it, the only advice they could offer was "Leave them alone and they'll come home". That may help explain about where and why the shepherd's crook got embedded.

more Bo Peep, for logical thinkers

It's In The Book
a/k/a Grandma's Lye Soap
by Johnny Standley

I have a message for you - a very sad message! My subject for this evening will be Little Bo Peep.

It says here, "Little Bo Peep" -- who was a little girl -- "has lost her sheep, and doesn't know where to find them." Now that's reasonable, isn't it? It's ... it's reasonable to assume if Little Bo Peep had lost her sheep, it's only natural that she wouldn't know where to find them. That, that basically is reasonable, but, uh, "leave them alone". Now that overwhelms me … completely overwhelms me. The man said she lost her sheep, turns right around and boldly states, "She doesn't know where to find them". And then has the stupid audacity to say, "Leave them alone!" Now! Now, now think for a moment! Think! If the sheep were lost, and you couldn't find them, you'd have to leave them alone, wouldn't you? So, "Leave them alone". "Leave them alone". It's in the book!

"Leave them alone and they" -- they being the sheep -- "they will come home". Ah yes, they'll come home. Oh, there'll be a brighter day tomorrow, they will come home! It's in the book.

"They will come home… a-waggin' their tails…". Pray tell me what else could they wag? "They will come home a-waggin' their tails behind them… behind them!" Did we think they'd wag them in front? Of course, they might have come home in reverse. They could have done that, I really don't know. But, none the less, it's in the book.

Then of course there is the relatively unknown method of controlling a system by psycho kinesis
Where humans with amazing skills can move things with just the power of thought!

The guy stands at one end of the system and wills the motors and such to move and run.
He is like the conductor of an orchestra.

You don’t need a control cabinet, or contactors or even wires. This guy can make the lot work to his bidding just by thought

PLucas said:

That's a load of mumbo-jumbo Goody!

All those who believe in psycho kinesis raise my hand!

Paul

No, really! The military already has it. And so does NASA. But they're not sharing. I mean, how could you possibly expect to communicate with probes in deep space otherwise? "Radio waves?" Don't make me laugh. My radio has never once waved at me!

akreel said:

I mean, how could you possibly expect to communicate with probes in deep space otherwise?

Maybe that's why the British scientists can't communicate with Beagle II, They haven't been told the secret by NASA!

Or maybe the real reason for the failure to communicate is this:-

cnnlangtoon010104.jpg

Paul

I take personal afront to mooooo's need to CONTROL a system. I say, control yourself before you go out and try to control something else. Why can't the system just do what it wants. That's FREEDOM! That's the AMERICAN WAY! Of course, we don't know about mooooo's background since he/she didn't bother to register. What does he/she have to hide? I think it's all one big foreign subversive plot. They're all out to get us! AHHHHHHHHHHHHH! (To quote Howard Dean) Terry, help me!

other forms of control

Hands up if you can remember the "Taylor Fullscope", the theraputic value derived from "squaring the parallelogram" was acute, or should that be very cute? Remember before the PLC there was air! Jim.