EzMarquee & ML1400

junior

I'm trying to setup ethernet communication between a ML-1400 Series B PLC and a EzMarquee 1L10C-E LED Display. I have the LED display setup as an Ethernet/IP Slave and I'm using the "CIP Generic" communication command in a MSG instruction.

When I try to execute the MSG instruction, I keep getting a e0 error " Error Code (in upper byte of MGx:y.22) was returned by the Comms module or CIP device"

I know that you can use a control logix processor to send the messages through Ethernet/IP protocol, so I imagine the 1400 should be able to handle it also.

Jr.

ControlLogix supports both cyclic I/O exchange and explicit MSG instructions. MicroLogix only supports MSG instructions.

Reading their website makes me a little queasy so I'll ask you: do they give an example with MSG instructions in the ControlLogix, or an example with the EZ-Marquee in the RSLogix 5000 I/O tree ?

Was your PDF received in response to your request at their support forum? I can't find that otherwise on their site. That PDF isn't very informative.

The PDF was emailed to my by their tech support. The whole PDF is too large to upload, so I split it into 2 and only posted the section on setting up the contrologix PLC.

According to one sentence in the manual on page 59, "You can also use an intelligent device like PLC to send appropriate ASCII messages to the specified IP address of EZMarquee configured for use on Ethernet." Not much to go on...

The screenshot you posted looks like a Micrologix Ethernet MSG. I would set it up like shown except using an ST file instead of an Integer file for the data source under This controller, (Send):.

You will (in addition to the ST file) need to create a data file for the MSG instruction, and one for the Extended Routing Information too, then populate the other fields as they show in the example.

Hope this helps,
Paul

Last edited:
According to one sentence in the manual on page 59, "You can also use an intelligent device like PLC to send appropriate ASCII messages to the specified IP address of EZMarquee configured for use on Ethernet." Not much to go on...
Yes, I agree and because of reading this, I purchased the LED displays with the ethernet port, assuming that it will work with AB products, but just as they say, never assume...

The big problem I have is that there's going to be 10 LED displays controlled from the one PLC when the project is complete, so using serial comms or using a ethernet to serial adapter is not very practical. Also using a CLX processor where a ML1400 is sufficient is not very cost effective.

I have tried using the ST data file instead of the integer file, but for some reason when using CIP Generic, RSL500 will not allow that data type for the ML1400.

I had to use the CPW instruction to copy from ST10:0 to N21:0.

I don't THINK that AB will send STring data out the Ethernet port. I years past prior to the 1400 they didn't. I setup multiple EZMarquees on a CLX and MLX1100.

I added a RTA435 to the CLX. I can have them up and displaying data in 15 min. or less.

The 1100 I used 485 it was a HEL L of a lot of work. Use a rta435 and forget all the other stuff.
pm me and I may be able to help you.

Yes, I agree and because of reading this, I purchased the LED displays with the ethernet port, assuming that it will work with AB products, but just as they say, never assume...

Yeah, it appears that it will work, EZautomation just needs to beef up their documentation a bit.

You did have success, right?

junior said:
I have tried using the ST data file instead of the integer file, but for some reason when using CIP Generic, RSL500 will not allow that data type for the ML1400.

I had to use the CPW instruction to copy from ST10:0 to N21:0.

I did a trial offline with a new app using a ML1400 series B and it did verify with an ST file...but that's not the first time I could verify something offline that didn't really work. I have not used any of the little Ethernet Micrologix units yet so I have none to experiment with.

Using one ML to send Ethernet packets to 10 different devices may require some extra care (staggering with a timer?, monitor active connections?). The manual for the Micrologix covers the specifications pretty darn good and says up to 16 incoming and 16 outgoing connections are supported, so you should be able to have 6 free outgoing connections available until you start using RSLinx or an HMI which can each use multiple connections...

Let us know how you fare in the end.

Thanks,
Paul

I haven't had any success yet using the ethernet port on the ML1400. I have no problems using the AWT instruction and send the info serially.

If I use ST10:0 as the send data in the CIP Generic, when I verify the program I get an error Invalid Data Type. I was able to use an ASCII data type in the MSG instruction, but when I execute it, I get the same " Error Code (in upper byte of MGx:y.22) was returned by the Comms module or CIP device" error message in the MSG instruction.

I'm starting to think that it's not possible and probably will have to look at using a CLX processor. I just hope the documentation that they sent me on the CLX processor is correct and works. I'm still curious why if it works with a CLX processor, why the ML1400 series B can't make it work.

This sounds like one of those jobs for Wireshark and/or Mr. Roach.

Can you "borrow" a logix system and see what goes over the wire? I expect it would be different anyhow using an I/O connection rather than MSGs. Maybe using MSGs (not sticking it in the I/O tree) with a Logix platform will work, and you can inspect the packets to compare with the ML1400.

If you go C-Logix, look at the CompactLogix Bricks (1769 CompactLogix Packaged Controllers). I used a 1769-L23E-QB1B, and I really like it.

The Wireshark utility looks good, I will have to check it out.

I don't have a CLX processor handy right now, but I'm going to try and borrow one. I've never used a L23E processor, but it looks good. I'll check it out.

Thanks for your help!

Junior I can't get the PDF to download. Maybe a new shiny sever temporary problem.

When I was setting the systems up that I did, transmitting ST out the Ethernet was not available. I bet it still is not available. I used that small adapter and put Marquees on plcs that several other engineering firms said couldn't be done. It is all about the tools you have in the toolbox.

Junior I can't get the PDF to download. Maybe a new shiny sever temporary problem.

When I was setting the systems up that I did, transmitting ST out the Ethernet was not available. I bet it still is not available. I used that small adapter and put Marquees on plcs that several other engineering firms said couldn't be done. It is all about the tools you have in the toolbox.

I know there are ethernet to serial adapters that you can use and it's looking like this might be my only choice. The issues is I'm going to have 10 LED displays so I have to buy 10 adapters which in my opinoin is not very practical. I specifically purchsed the LED displays with the ethernet port as I assumed that the AB processors could communicate over ethernet. It looks like the CLX processors can do it, so I was hoping the ML1400 which supports lots of communication protocols could to it also.