OT - Gentle Puzzle for 2012

L D[AR2P#0.0]

Lifetime Supporting Member
My local drives supplier was visiting to discuss an upgrade to three drives on a small machine and I decided to set him a puzzle to determine the kW rating of the drives.

Firstly, the product of the kW ratings was 2450,

Secondly, the sum of the kW ratings was equal to the number of inputs used on the plc controlling the machine.

I let the supplier inspect the drawings for the plc and he came back puzzled asking for more information to determine the drive ratings.

I then told him the smallest drive did not have encoder feedback. Triumphantly, the supplier then announced the kW ratings of the three drives.

What were they?

(Answers by PM please)

You haven't stated whether the start/stop is two wire or three wire, whether the drives are reversing, whether the two remaining encoders are quadrature or not, and whether the speed reference is analog or digital (floating point)

Come on! You know better than that.

Not the answer, but then again, maybe it is. Remember, when you are walking, it goes left foot, right foot, left foot, and so on. If it's left foot, left foot, left foot, etc, you will only go in circles.

Well, I'm probably missing something, but I don't see a single answer with the given information. Unfortunately the supplier had more information than we do.

I know there is probably a "gotcha!" in there somewhere...

I wish I had opened this thread yesterday before I was driving home. I assumed it would be step 7 stuff deep into my ever expanding pool of ignorance.

Instead, I think I might actually be able to recall the required algebra and tackle this after the morning fire fighting ends.

LD: How many have sent the solution to you so far?

1) When you have solved the puzzle, you can tell me the answer to this question
2) Not relevant.

Rookie questions are puzzling enough without complete info.

I'm thick...

Oh, that means absolutely zero? I better hurry up and get caught up then if I wanna be 1st because when Peter sees this he will do it in his head.

Paul
It takes only a couple of minutes to solve this symbolically assuming two of the drives are the same. However that is an assumption.

I don't know the different makes and models of drives and I am not going to play 20 questions.

For the time being I will put L D [AR2,P#0.0] in the same category as those rookies that don't supply all the information. Do you feel better Paul?

What makes this a rookie question ? - it's just a maths puzzle. Replace the drives with tank capacities, or cable lengths.......