Accessing Lenze drive parameters via S7 manager?

fiveliter8

Hello all,

We have several pieces of equipment that uses Siemens PLC’s with LENZE drives communicating via profibus. The Lenze drives also are connected to eachother via CANbus. We have the S7 manager software, and are able to backup all of the data blocks for the PLC using the siemens USB to MPI adapter, but can’t get them from the Lenze drives, although the drives do show up as accessible nodes with correct addresses. We had a representative from the machine manufacturer here and he suggested purchasing the Lenze USB to CANbus adapter, which is out of the question right now due to budget issues. My question is: Is it possible to archive the Lenze drive parameters via S7 manager? Searching on the net, I came across a Lenze software called BusServer S7, but am not clear on if that would allow us to access the drives via S7 manager. The cost of this software is just as expensive as the USB to Canbus adapter.
We also have Lenze Global Drive Control software and tried to use a generic USB to CANbus adapter to connect to the drives, but the software seems to be looking for a specific Lenze CANbus adapter (USB, ethernet, etc). We were able to select the Lecom A/B driver, and it attempts to communicate, but never finds the drives.
Anyone have any experience with this? Thank you!

Alex

I've used RS485 to communicate with a Lenze Drive before. I'm guessing this is some sort of welding or steel fab process you're working on ?

I've seen a generic USB-canbus adapter used to talk to the Lenze drives. I didn't record the details, but I can probably find out in the next few days.
Are we talking about a resistance welding machine from a swiss manufacturer? If so, have their representive talk to their counterparts in Malaysia, they might have a cheaper solution than the genuine Lenze item, which at over $1000 is a bit hard to justify for most end-users.

Actually, the USB-CAN adapter I used was my personal OBDII interface cable. I'm almost positive it's max baud rate is 38400 and the only way I can get it to even try looking for the drives is using Global Drive Control using the LecomA/B protocol. As for the equipment these are in, they are German grinding and cutting tools. Our maintenance group is developing backup procedures for the plc's and drives. Our other tools, which are Swiss, are 100% siemens PLC's, drives, and control units...backups are no problem! :) The lenze is the only thing we haven't been able to archive.

For reference, most of the drives are "9300 servo driver" with the 2133 plug-in profibus module.

Last edited:
Hello all,

We have several pieces of equipment that uses Siemens PLC’s with LENZE drives communicating via profibus. The Lenze drives also are connected to eachother via CANbus. We have the S7 manager software, and are able to backup all of the data blocks for the PLC using the siemens USB to MPI adapter, but can’t get them from the Lenze drives, although the drives do show up as accessible nodes with correct addresses. We had a representative from the machine manufacturer here and he suggested purchasing the Lenze USB to CANbus adapter, which is out of the question right now due to budget issues. My question is: Is it possible to archive the Lenze drive parameters via S7 manager? Searching on the net, I came across a Lenze software called BusServer S7, but am not clear on if that would allow us to access the drives via S7 manager. The cost of this software is just as expensive as the USB to Canbus adapter.
We also have Lenze Global Drive Control software and tried to use a generic USB to CANbus adapter to connect to the drives, but the software seems to be looking for a specific Lenze CANbus adapter (USB, ethernet, etc). We were able to select the Lecom A/B driver, and it attempts to communicate, but never finds the drives.
Anyone have any experience with this? Thank you!

Alex
I do have a similar setup and the Lecom driver works for me.
From Global Drive software (Lenze)you'll need to select a node and from there the parameters will be visible for each drive.
Though, this is done as a point-to-point connection. Plug in the adapter on one of the Lenze drives, fire up the Global Control software, select the node (since this is point to point I always use 0 0r 1 as a node) and the upload the parameters from the connected drive.
You can also save the files for future reference.
I haven't looked into another method as this works fine for my client.
As far as Profibus goes, the S7 "talks" to each drive by passing parameters via programmable blocks via the s7 software.

I haven't looked into a CAN setup that will access each drive without having to physically move the adapter from drive to drive in order to communicate with it. I would assume that if the CAN network is setup and each drive has been assigned a node, that it would be possible.

Hope this helps a bit.

There's a quick and dirt cheap way to use if there's a need for a drive replacement. Not sure if this applies here but you can use the plug-in LCD display on the Lenze drives and "copy" the existing parameters. It does save the entire set on some kind of eEPROM and you should be able to plug in the unit to a "fresh" out of the box drive and then "load" the saved parameters to the new unit without having to go through a time cinsuming manual parameter configuration.

As far as the above post goes, you need to plug in the Lecom adapter to the drive comms port and not the "Profibus" module port to establish communications and also be able to Load/Save parameters.

Thank you all for the replies so far. When the rep was here, he used the Lenze usb-can adapter and plugged into a connector that was pig-tailed off the canbus leads, which are daisy-chained between four drives. From there, he was able to connect to each one through that one connection. I will try to do them individually, though, and see if that get's me anywhere.

bkottaras, our drives don't have the LCD displays on them, unfortunately. :(

I think the main problem at this point is the USB-OBDII adapter I'm using just isn't going to work. Will try to purchase a generic one and will report back with the findings. Thanks again for the help!

Alex

The S7 software will only display the drive as a accessible node, it won,t copy the drive parameters into the software or back it up. the only thing relevant in the siemens software will be the GSD files for the drives themselves. All off the drive settings will have to be backed up using the drive software... Its the same with Siemens drives, the settings are saved with seperate drive software to the Simatic manager...

Regards

JV

As some extra info to the original post,
I purchased the USB-Can module for about $600USD.
My customer did not want to spend that kind of money, so instead I got them a serial module. They can unplug the profibus module, put the serial module on, use GDC to upload/download the parameters, then when finished simply put the profibus module back on.

But If your company can afford the MPI adapter for Siemens (around the same price) and the GDC software (the most overpriced drive setup software in the world), then they should be able to fit the bill for a CAN adapter. Especially if you explain to them how expensive it will be the day you need it and you don't have it, or have lost all your parameters.

Hi all,
Can anyone help me about communication of plc and lenze drive?

What PLC are you using (Siemens S-300, AB, etc.)?
What type of Communication? (Profibus, CAN, etc.)
Which Lenze drive are you using?

Perhaps you should be starting a new post with a lot more information. There is also a lot of information on this subject. Google (S7 Lenze).

Lenze provides a sample S7 program on their site.