How to view setting in excel with rslogix 5000

stu

Hi I am using compactlogix and I would like to view the some of the plc setting like running times ect back in our office, I have Ethernet going from the machine to our office, so is there a way I could get the tag data to show in excel worksheet, this is just for training me at the moment but long term all our machines would be linked up to a server, can anyone help thanks stu

Search for DDE/OPC and topic configuration. You will need a RSLinx OEM or Professional package to use this, as it didn't work with RSLinx Classic or Lite.

Personally I'd skip Excel and Linx altogether and use AdvancedHMI. Just get VB.NET Express (free) and download AdvancedHMI from the thread linked (also free).

Or if you really wanted Excel, you could use the driver in AdvancedHMI to get data into Excel, but it would be easier to use DDE/OPC if you already had Linx.

DDE please, i have looked at the advancedHMI and it said that you have to run open it vb 2008? is that right , thanks stu

Stu, there examples in RSLinx help on how to setup DDE/OPC to get data into Excel. It will get you started.

As far as AdvancedHMI, you create your "application" in VB.NET 2008 or later, then it gets compiled into a .exe that can basically be run on any computer. What I like about it is you can create a custom application with no VB experience, or for the experienced users, the possibilities are endless. Don't discount it just yet. I've used it quite a bit and would be willing to help get you going with it (as I'm sure others here would as well).

If I were you, I'd evaluate both. Check out the help in Linx and the video's from the first post in my link.

Does Advance HMI work for control logix on ethernet??

Yes. When the thread I linked was created it did not support CLX over Ethernet, but support has since been added. Eventually in that thread it is mentioned...

Thanks I will give it a go , stu

If you have any questions, let me know. Check out the youtube videos from my original link.

hi Dmroeder, thanks for your help, i dont have any vb software is there anywhere i could download, so i can try the advanced hmi software,thanks stu