FactoryTalk View Machine Edition Runtime Software

Rob S.

The FactoryTalk Runtime software for Machine Edition that you run on a pc , I imagine that it is full screen when running , correct? Even if it is a 15" , 17" or 19" , etc.
I know when running the demo or testing an application it is only in the top , left corner.

Also , I am looking for a low cost industrial touch screen monitor that I can place in a panel. Maybe a 15" , 17" , 19" , etc. Would anybody have any ideas where the best place to purchase these. I found a place called " i-Tech Company" they
have industrial 15" monitors for $765.

Thanks in advance.

Rob S. said:
The FactoryTalk Runtime software for Machine Edition that you run on a pc , I imagine that it is full screen when running , correct? Even if it is a 15" , 17" or 19" , etc.
I know when running the demo or testing an application it is only in the top , left corner.

I believe this is configurable on each screen, but others would have to give you the details.

Rob S. said:
Also , I am looking for a low cost industrial touch screen monitor that I can place in a panel. Maybe a 15" , 17" , 19" , etc. Would anybody have any ideas where the best place to purchase these. I found a place called " i-Tech Company" they
have industrial 15" monitors for $765.

We just recently switched from Xycom (due to touch driver problems with our Digi Connectport units) to these:

Automation Direct Atlas

I really like them. They are readily available (and have been for years), and the serial touch driver works fine even tunneled over Ethernet.

Last edited:
FactoryTalk View ME sizes displays purely by pixel count. It does not scale during runtime. This is well suited to running on fixed-size PV+ terminals.

If you're running it on a PC, you need to know and develop for the exact pixel count of the video display. If your 15" has the same resolution as your 19", then that's fine. If they are different, you need to develop different runtime applications.

You can scale an application up and down by changing the Project Window size in the Project settings. This pixel width/height becomes the default window size, though of course you can create on-top displays that are smaller than that.

When you change the Project Window Size, FTView scales the objects proportionally. This is an imperfect feature; I've seen instances where objects get scaled incorrectly or distorted, but most ordinary rectangular pushbuttons and indicators and so forth convert just fine.

The scaling feature is imperfect enough that you don't want to use it frequently; I read a thread from a guy who was developing both for PV+1000 and PV+600 and he was scaling up, then down, then up, then down. He was tearing hair out, then gluing it back on, then tearing it out...

Last edited:
Let's say that I rediculously purchase a 72" touchscreen to display has much information has possible , I can size that up to display on that as a full screen , correct ? I am looking at the 9701-VWMR030AENE 30 display software.

Thanks,

Be somewhat careful as PV screen are done in a 4:3 aspect ratio.
Widescreen monitors/touchscreens are 16:10/16:9 natively.

If your development PC can run the same display as the enormous flatscreen, go right ahead.

My co-worker has a 42" LCD television perched on top of a robot workcell as an HMI. I don't know how he got it into the spec, but it's just in time for the NFL playoffs.

Rob

Here we like these http://www.hopeindustrial.com/ around 700.00 for the 19" flavor and they have up to 21. Very good quality.

My company has been using them for several years and only lost 2 out of about 80 in service and we have people here that can really tear up a screen.

Heck they will destroy a tank if you put one out there on the factory floor.