1 prewinse/soap tower
2 under carriage wash and rinse
3 rinse and or wax stage
4 stage one of the air blowers
5 stage two of the air blowers

up to four cars can be in the tunnel at once

cars are locked and move at same speed on a conveyor
distance between vehicles can vary based on length of vehicle
each vehicle cycle is started when vehicle rolls over a pressure plate on the track. The recipe is set by operator
as vehicle stages so recipes can also be stages.

So how would you approach this problem

So how would you approach this problem

Define all my Inputs and Outputs.
Determine the sequence and write it out on paper. Including all inputs necessary to activate a step and what outputs occur during that step.
Convert it to logic that my chosen PLC can use.

Do what Tharon said, then add 4 bit-shift registers (1 bit-shift register for each possible recipe option).

Bit-Shift Register 1: Soap & Prerinse (1) or Not (0)?
Bit-Shift Register 2: Undercarriage Wash (1), or Not (0)?
Bit-Shift Register 3: Wax (1), or Only Rinse (0)?
Bit-Shift Register 4: Air-Dry (1), or Not (0)?

Your instructor wants you to set up your PLC program so that all 4 bits for each car move in PLC memory proportionaly as the car moves down the conveyor.