Staying In Sync with Program Files

Tim Ganz

We have 2 desktop computers connected to our DH+ network and 3 windows xp laptops for servicing our equipment but keeping the program the same is a real bear. If someone makes a change and saves it to the laptop the the other machines do not match and you can't go online with comments.

What is a simple and cheap way to have the changed file on all these machine short of copy to each machine with usb stick like we do now.

We were thinking of a networked hard drive but can we make the computers auto sync somehow?

I don't know if you could solve this issue the way you have envisioned it, short of establishing some sort of operational "code edit" procedure and enforcing it...:D

RA FactoryTalk AssetCentre

(http://www.rockwellautomation.com/rockwellsoftware/assetmgmt/assetcentre/

could leverage a centralized database to provide automatic version control, however, it will still require some user "intervention".

Take a look within the posted link and maybe you could find a compromise...☯

I am using a source control program called TortiseSVN. It is not the greatest solution around but for the price (FREE) it works pretty well. It does all of your standard source control type functions, check in, check out revision roll back, comments on changes made to revisions.

The client creates a folder on your hard drive with the latest repository versions of the files and has an indicator dot by the file icon showing if the file is or is not up to date. All controls are accessed by right clicking on the file name.

One annoying this that happens with RSLogix 500 files is that just opening them makes them show up as outdated in the file browser. RSLogix must write something into the file even if you do not save it causeing this to happen.

At my plant we have three laptops that are used to support the equipment. We have a network folder where we store all of the programs and documentation for each machine. We also have a briefcase setup on each laptop which has a copy of the network folder. Before and after making a change, we connect to the network, open the briefcase and press update all. This updates the network folder. As long as everyone keeps the network folder updated it works well.

versiondog takes care that all development clients are up to date!

AUtomated VEsioning SYstem - delivers with its product versiondog the newest and leading product for automatic backup and versioning of changes. versiondog empowers users to protect, save, compare, restore, discover, and track changes in PLCs, robots, CNCs, HMIs, SCADA systems and drives. Documents like Word, Excel and PDF are also well supported. As world technology leader, the versiondog clients are free of installation and they can also run on a USB stick. In opposite to other Change Management systems versiondog normally do not need any installed Editor like InTouch, RSLogix or the Siemens Simatic Manager - this gives users the full flexibility. Companies like Audi, BMW, Porsche, Continental, MARS or Roche use versiondog worldwide. Please find more information on our website: www.versiondog.com