What have you built?

shawn_75

Just curious what gadgets/gizmos have you built to make your job easier? I had about 400 wire ends to crimp once so I took a set of really nice wire crimpers and 'automated' them with a small pneumatic cylinder and a foot pedal. Not something for production as there were no safety measures built in but it was damn handy for me to use. Easy on the wrists too.

Shawn

sometimes it is the simple things that make the job easier.
Good Idea but, Not sure whether the crimper would work on a large panel.
3000~6000 connections some of which you need to be on the ground for.
also many with different size ferruls.
I would have liked it though.
When self employed - there is, hopefully, no time to build this equipment.
But I am cosidering a few electronic projects.
0~20 mA currentloop tester etc. might be cheaper than buying
but it is a need based thing.

I used Panic Mode's schematic fir a 4~20 /0~10 generator. I keep it on every job.

The hour or so I spent building it was worth it in my opinion. My hands certainly agree.

Jeff, I need to make myself one of those too.

Shawn

You can buy one from. Theautomationstore.com
Not a bad investment. I might buy one as a backup. I am big on having backups. There are certain tools I have a backup for my backups backup. Cordless drills are a perfect example of backups. I probably have 5. I am a 1 man show. If I loose 3~4 hours on a job over a $200.00 drill did I gain anything by not having a backup on the job.
I catch a lot a **** from guys when I show up with enough tools for 3 men. I started out at a young age being a tooloholic. If I loose more than 2 times what the tool cost because I don't have one it leaves a bad task in my mouth.

I agree with you Jeff, I was interested in making one.
electronics is a hobby as well.
i have seen the one you highlighted and i do like it.
I have many tool "copies" but only take what i need out of the car.
the problem is that there are always others who like your tools and if not carefull the tools become theirs instead.

Hi All,
The epitome of geek-ness, I know, but I recently put a 3/4hp motor (originally came with a dinky 1/3hp) and a VSD I had laying around on my 10" Ryobi drill press. FWD and REV from 30 to 2300 RPM. It's a little on the small side, but it gets the job done, especially with the larger motor. I sourced what I could (motor, enclosure, odds and ends) from E-bay to save $$.

-rpoet

DSCN0811sm.jpg

About 5+ years ago my computer bag began to get heavy and pull on my back and shoulder at plants and in airports. I fixed this with 2 - 10" pieces of 3/8" bungee cord. Folding them in half and attaching to each end of the should strap as extensions they now take the punishment instead of me.

CIMG1420.jpg

Last edited:
Those Channelock's are brilliant ! I always feel like such a Neanderthal while banging away inside my enclosure with a screwdriver and mallet.

And that's a nice drill press improvement, complete with shaded work lamp and E-Stop !

re. the drill press: Thanks, Ken!

I learned the hard way that I needed to use a compact fluorescent lamp in the light, as the incandescent bulbs couldn't take vibration from hole saw chatter.

Since the picture was taken, I added a SPDT, ON-off-ON switch for forward and reverse. I got tired of hitting the little buttons on the drive keypad with dirty fingers to run the machine.

-rpoet

re. the drill press: Thanks, Ken!

I learned the hard way that I needed to use a compact fluorescent lamp in the light, as the incandescent bulbs couldn't take vibration from hole saw chatter.

Since the picture was taken, I added a SPDT, ON-off-ON switch for forward and reverse. I got tired of hitting the little buttons on the drive keypad with dirty fingers to run the machine.

-rpoet

All you need now is a sensor and a smart relay and you can do automatic tapping