change processor type in rslogix500

cryptius

I was wondering how hard it is to change the processor type in RSLogix500. By change processor type, I mean change the processor from say a micrologix 1200 to a 1000 for example. The scenario is this: an output goes bad and there are no spares. There is no spare matching PLC on the shelf. But there is one of a different model with more than enough inputs and outputs. Is it easy or difficult to do this?

RSLogix 500, Project Tree, Controller Properties / General tab drop down list includes all available SLC/Micrologix Class processors depending of the RSLogix 500 revision.
You have to be aware though that replacing the Controller within an application file (even after identical I/O rewiring)might introduce incompatibilities between the existing code and the "new" CPU's supported firmware.
Usually the CPU's "features" are maintained when migrating "upwards". So you'll most likely be able to replace a ML1000 with a ML1200 without having to edit the code, however, migrating "downwards"(1200 to 1000), might require re-coding since some of the 1200 features are not present within a 1000.

Last edited:
Thanks for the answer. The only question that brings up is at what point would it complain about the code? Would it complain as soon as the processor type was changed, or would it wait until it was attempted to be downloaded in the processor? That is assuming that it would complain and fail at some point in time.

When?

Thanks for the answer. The only question that brings up is at what point would it complain about the code? Would it complain as soon as the processor type was changed, or would it wait until it was attempted to be downloaded in the processor? That is assuming that it would complain and fail at some point in time.

The software will complain a little when you click "apply" after the change. This is only about the resizing of data tables. After you accept this, you should then see a list of errors in the bottom window that must be fixed for proper compile.

I find when changing a processor type it is best to export the logic and import into a new application with that new processor selected as you can run into problems by just changing the processor for example the data table resizing.