OT: Harsh environment electric motor paint

steveb1475

Hey all,

I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions for an electric motor paint that will stand up to acid/caustic washdown without creating any thermal insulating effects.

Thanks,
Steve

Well, Idon't know that any paint will have too much insulating effect unless you really slather it on, or that any one kind will be worse than any other.

I'd suggest looking at epoxy paint for corrosion resistance. You might also talk to your paint vendor for suggestions. Finally, Baldor and other have hazardous duty motors that are more corrosion resistant than standard ones.

Steve,

Take a look at Sherwin Williams Polane. Bulletproof paint - its a two part poly and cures very hard, but you need a paint booth and special equipment. If you are in the SLC area try Global Coatings in Pleasant Grove, they can shoot it for you.

Last edited:
Specifying a Mill and Chem Duty motor would probably have avoided these problems. They typically have a stainless steel shaft and better paint ( I believe it is epoxy in most cases).

OP:

I just use sherwin williams cold galvanizing spray paint. Once the painted or baked enamel coating starts shipping it has been my experience its going to continue to do so under whatever paint you have. Not to mention, in a corrosive wash down environment like my plant the motor is likely rusted where the paint chipped off and would require a good bit of prep work to get paint to stick well. I just have a maintenance guy go around and put on a fresh coat about once a month which takes 1 guy about an hour. Yes its a quick fix but the costs of a long term solution outweighs the inconvenience of occasionally running around with a can of spray paint.

In response to DickDV, I would have to agree. If you are in a washdown environment I would be specifying leeson stainless steel washdown TEFC motors. They are more expensive but the price to pay is small to keep USDA happy.

Last edited: