My AB 5/25 output won't come on

electman

I added an ouput card to my PLC 5/25 and did some simple programming to get some motor starters to turn on and off. I have only installed the card and programmed a screen on a panelview so far. I have not wired anything up yet. I was going to make sure the screen and logic work before unwiring existing hardware to switch over to plc control. My ladder logic is simply:

---Input from panelview-----stop from panelview-------(output)
| |
| |
----latch via output----

my inputs from the panelview are coming through and turning on the respective bits in the ladder but the output (light on card) doesn't come on. I can force the output and the light on the card will come on. What am I missing?

Thanks in advance.

Move the Stop before the Input and upstream of the latch branching and make sure it is a NC PanelView PB (XIC Logic).
Add an One-Shot [ONS] instruction after the Input and before the latch branching.
The PV to PLC5 communications timing doesn't quite allow for "hard wire" ladder logic.

Last edited:
thanks for the reply!
question, though, since both the stop and start are coming from the pv should I have a one-shot for both or just the start?

You cannot ONS the Stop (and you don't have to if is a NC PB referenced as XIC within the ladder logic) since the ONS instructions are true only for one scan after the RCI (Rung Conditions IN) are transiting from false to true.

Move the Stop before the Input and upstream of the latch branching and make sure it is a NC PanelView PB (XIC Logic).
Add an One-Shot [ONS] instruction after the Input and before the latch branching.
The PV to PLC5 communications timing doesn't quite allow for "hard wire" ladder logic.

I don't understand the need for a one-shot, unless the output is an OTL then it will not stay on with a one-shot.

Is this logic in a subroutine not being called?

It is a NC PB and referenced as XIC in the ladder.

I didn't set it up as a sub routine (I don't believe). The program shows SYS0, LAD2, and I inserted my addition as LAD3.

I don't understand the need for a one-shot, unless the output is an OTL then it will not stay on with a one-shot.

Is this logic in a subroutine not being called?

That could very well be...

The reason for the ONS is the "capture" timing of a "communications PB".
I have never been able to capture a PV/PLC5 "virtual PB" unless using an OSR.

It is a NC PB and referenced as XIC in the ladder.

I didn't set it up as a sub routine (I don't believe). The program shows SYS0, LAD2, and I inserted my addition as LAD3.

Then Mickey is right.
Within Ladder 2 add a rung containing a JSR to Ladder 3.

By that I deduce that LAD 2 is the main ladder logic and anything following that is considered a subroutine?

Got it. So I would have saved myself some headaches by adding to the bottom of LAD 2.
You guys rock! Thanks for all of the help!

That could very well be...

The reason for the ONS is the "capture" timing of a "communications PB".
I have never been able to capture a PV/PLC5 "virtual PB" unless using an OSR.

I'm with Micky on this one, I'm not seeing how a one-shot helps here. Can you provide an example? From the description, I'm not getting a clear picture of the intended code.

I'm with Micky on this one, I'm not seeing how a one-shot helps here. Can you provide an example? From the description, I'm not getting a clear picture of the intended code.

Well, since most of the PLC5 PVs I have encountered over the years were BTW/BTR-ed on RIO or DNet (some DH+) and considering the asynchronous characteristic (with respect to the PLC5 logic scan)of the "block-transferred" data, all "my" block-transferred push buttons are ONSed (AND Not-FirstScan).

The PV PB image might not update within one scan or it might not "last" long enough for the "hard wire" logic to be functional.

I am very well aware that this is not always required, however, this sort of functionality has never failed me, even within "heavily" populated legacy comms networks and PLC5 Scantimes close to 100ms.

I guess I fell in a habit and forgotten the always helpful KISS...:unsure:...:whistle:

dmargineau,

Can I please see an example of the code you intended to describe?

My interpretation of the original rung is:

BST XIC Input NXB XIC Output BND XIC Stop OTE Output

When I try to follow your instructions...

XIC Stop BST XIC Input NXB XIC Output BND OTE Output

Moving the stop is easy, not so sure where you meant for the ONS to go.

XIC Stop BST XIC Input ONS Oneshot NXB XIC Output BND OTE Output

Is that right?

If so, I don't get the benefit of the ONS. The only thing I see a ONS do for you in this position is allow Stop to work even if the Input gets stuck on. But there are better ways to fix that.

If it's not right, please provide an example that shows the rung you intended.

XIC STOP BST XIC START ONS XYZ NXB XIC OUTPUT BND XIO FIRST SCAN OTE OUTPUT

Again, RIO and DNet PLC5 networks are UPDATED OUT OF SYNC WITH REGARD OF THE PLC SCAN; the data Read/Written is not processed like ordinary IO.

BTR - Block Transfer Read

Type - Input/Output
BTR.gif

Description

Transfer up to 64 words at a time from a block transfer module in a local or remote I/O chassis or 64 words from a supervisory processor, when the processor is in adapter mode.
Entering Parameters

Mod Type
Select the module type from thelist that appears when you double-click the field.
Rack No.
Enter a valid rack number , 00-27 (octal) for a PLC-5, and 00-177 (octal) for SoftLogix 5.
Group
Enter the I/O group number (0-7) which specifies the position of target module in the chassis.
Module
Enter the slot number (0-1) within the group.
Control Block
It is recommended that you use a block transfer (BT) data file or a five word Integer (N) data file for the control block, although other integer data types will work. Racks 10-27 for a PLC-5 and 10-127 for SoftLogix 5 should use a BT data file type.
Data File
Enter the address of the input, output, status, integer, float, binary, BCD, or ASCII data file from which (write) or into which (read) the processor transfers data. Note: you cannot use indirect addresses for the data file address in a BTR or BTW instruction.
Length
Enter the number of words to transfer. When configuring intelligent I/O (except the QB module) the length is automatically adjusted to accommodate the configuration data of the module.
Continuous
Choose Yes or No from the list that appears when you double-click on the field in RSLogix 5.
Status Bits
Used to address sub-elements of the control address.
EN/15
Enable Bit
Enabled-Waiting Bit
ST/14
Start Bit
No Response Bit
DN/13
Done Bit
Time Out Bit
ER/12
Error Bit
Read/Write Bit (1=Read, 0=Write)
CO/11
Continue Bit

Bit labels may delimit BT file elements (for example, BT20:1.EN), bit numbers refer to the first word of a five word Integer (N) control block. Bits 00-06 store the I/O module address.
Note: Bit labels (.EN, .ST, .CO, and so on.) can only be used with the block transfer data type (BT).
Caution: Except for the .CO and .TO bits, do not modify status bits while the block transfer is enabled or unpredictable operation could occur with possible damage to equipment and/or injury to personnel.
Caution: The processor runs block transfer instructions asynchronously to program scan. The status of these bits could change at any point in the program scan. If you examine these bits in ladder logic, copy the status once to a storage bit whose status is synchronized with the program scan. Otherwise, timing problems may invalidate your program with possible damage to equipment and/or injury to personnel

ONS - One-Shot

Type - Bit
ONS.gif

Description

The ONS instruction is an input instruction that makes the rung true for one program scan upon a false-to-true transition of the conditions preceding the ONS instruction on the rung.
Use the ONS instruction to start events that are triggered by a pushbutton, such as pulling values from thumbwheel switches or freezing rapidly displayed LED values.
You must enter a bit address for the bit. Use either a binary file or integer file address.
Sample Addresses:
N7:6/0 (Integer file seven, word six, bit zero)
B3/0 (Bit file three, bit zero)
Note: During prescan, the bit address is set to inhibit false triggering when the program scan begins.

Last edited: