First time G304K user

Ken Roach

Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
Okay guys, be gentle. I am a long-time, in-depth PanelView guy.

A Red Lion G304K000 landed on my desk and I'm making up cables for it and writing a "pushbuttons -> outputs" experimental program just to run the outputs on my PLC during checkout.

I'm pretty sure I can get the Crimson 3.0 database downloaded into the G304K and running on powerup, so my questions are:

1. Do I just leave the serial port 1 as "Programming Port" so I can use it for downloads ? Right now I have "no driver selected".

2. Is there a button or feature I should be including in my project to get me back into "configuration mode" or "download mode" ?

Or does the G304K just switch to that mode when Crimson is connected to it ?

Hi Ken,

They have a good manual, if you click on help then contents... you are looking for page 34

I think you will leave the programming port settings alone and just change the coms to DF1, if you are using a MicroLogix

You can just download no button needed

Its been awhile since I have used one but I think you will like them

Mark

see the attached, its not a pdf file change it to cd3

Not sure if I have the coms setup but its one of the trainers I build so you will get the idea

Hope it helps :)

Jeff Kiper contacted me with some advice and took my worries about needing a "configuration mode" button or a way to designate which screen ran first off the table.

My first application is up and running, six hours from a flat-footed start that began with realizing I didn't have any cables.

I have an old AppleTalk cable jammed into an A-B Micro830 serial port, connected to a Prosoft DB9/screw terminal breakout board.

I am more than a little impressed with how painless the firmware upgrade and download of the application was. Incremental application downloads ? A runtime database file under 40KB ? No special drivers ?

Thank you all for the tips and encouragement, and especially to Jeff for his direct assistance.

Those breakout adapters are a life saver. I bought 2 of each DB9,15,25,RJ12,45& maybe some others from GIT. You can find these at the great site http://www.ind-concepts.com/
These adapters go on every job I go on. A couple of USB to serial adapters, a handful of gender changers, 2 null adapters,& 2 serial cables.

Ken anytime I can help.