Panelview upgrade path

greatercontrols

Lifetime Supporting Member
I've a customer who's been building a particular system repetitively for about 8 years using a Panelview 600 (2711-K6C5) connected to a micrologix 1500 LRP over DH485 (serial port).

As that line of panelviews is now silver and I have only a few left in stock, I need to migrate to a plus model. We need to stick with same comms, AC power, same size cutout etc so when an old unit blows up we can change it out swiftly without hassle.

So I thought the model I might go to was '2711-K7C4A1' but upon requesting a price I was told that too was 'not a current product'. Some more reading leads me to '2711P-K7C4A' Is this the best selection given the criteria?

One supplier just quoted me and never mentioned the product wasn't current even though I made it clear I was migrating from the PV 600, the other supplier told me it wasn't current but offered no further information. I keep reading but it never seems clear... I"m sure there are plenty of people here with an answer!

Plugging that part number in here yields "invalid part number" with suggestions to append it with a number to indicate memory size. I added a "2" and got this:

PanelView Plus 700 Keypad, Standard Communications (Ethernet & RS-232), AC power, 128 MB Flash/ 128 MB RAM with a retail price of $4,302.60.

The 700+ is a much better built device than the 600+.

Personally, I don't like the PV600+. They are expensive, slow and unreliable, much like the program software (FTView ME Studio). If the environment is not demanding, and they insist on A/B I would go with a 600+ to save money. Try this part number: 2711P-K6C3A It is a keypad version. if you want a keypad and touch or just touch screen then let us know or use the config wizard to change it.

If you would be willing to consider a different brand, look at the Red Lion G306K, or G306A. They have free software, and are much faster, and more reliable in my experience.

You would need a 120 to 24vdc power supply for the G3, but they can do DH485 or DF1 for comms.

I don't know that any of them fit the same size cut out, but I have not used a PV+ keypad only unit.

Welcome to the forum.
Paul

Last edited:
The distributor quoted you on a Panelview Plus in the original line. The 700 and up PV+ have been succeeded by the PV+6.

I think the cutout for the Keypad 700+ is
Keypad or Keypad/Touch:
167 x 264 mm
(6.57 x 10.39 in)

Thanks for the feedback, we are pretty much required to stick with AB, with eight years of existing field units it's not a bad plan to keep the customer with it. Our application is definitely not demanding, but the screens get scratched up pretty quick on mine-sites. I've used red lion and didn't enjoy it much, though to be fair it was coupled to a kingfisher RTU (never ever use those)

It definately seems the PV+6 700 is the intended replacement as the cutouts are identical, which is the requirement for retro sales. This page here: http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/ap/2711p-ap003_-en-p.pdf (page 10) says the2711P-K7C4A1 and 2711P-K7C4A2 are both superseded by the 2711P-K7C4A8

So it would seem that's the model to get. It would have been nice if the suppliers could have made the suggestion. I'll also have to finally ditch panelbuilder and move onto FT View Studio.

It's nearly 1am here, I'll check back in the morning.

Apparently after all this wasted time, Rockwell have decided to continue the original panelview 2711-K6C5, though local support could not tell me how long for. Anyone got any inside knowledge?

Last edited: