Graphical representation of about 80% of all Forum questions...

yes but
he might be selling him a Stud Finder Finder
could be usefull

I think that is unfair to PLCtalk.net. Very few sales pitches get made here, and if there is a product mentioned, it is usually a valid answer to a question.

I laugh

I think that is unfair to PLCtalk.net. Very few sales pitches get made here,
I think I do all the time. I just disguise them and bury them a lot of RELEVANT technical details. My goal isn't so much to sell something directly as much as to show there is a better way or raise the high bar so high that only our product can jump it. I share a lot of technology or technical details. For instance the Alpha-Beta-Gamma filter could be used in the recent thread where the OP was complaining about the velocity updating slowly. The Alpha-Beta-gamma filter has little phase delay. I did share a video showing what a Alpha-Beta-Gamma filter can do using our setup software.

and if there is a product mentioned, it is usually a valid answer to a question.
Well it can't be blatant off topic or just spam. I really don't think you want to cross that boundary otherwise the flood gates would be open.

I think that is unfair to PLCtalk.net. Very few sales pitches get made here, and if there is a product mentioned, it is usually a valid answer to a question.

You must be a supervisor. Let me explain. It has nothing to do with sales pitches.
OP: How do I add a pilot light to my G310 HMI?
Reply: I don't use pilot lights, I use multi-color indicators, they work much better.

OP: Why does my AB timer not turn the output on?
Reply: Instead of using timers try a counter.
:)

You must be a supervisor. Let me explain. It has nothing to do with sales pitches.
Reply: I don't use pilot lights, I use multi-color indicators, they work much better.

Russ, I have been a supervisor. I have been an engineer. I have been an electrician. I have been a sewing machine mechanic. I have been a gas jockey and windshield washer back when we had those. I have been a busboy. I have been many other things over the years, and there are some jobs I don't want to remember. What does it all prove?

I have never told ANYONE to use a multi-color indicator if they wanted to know how to add a pilot light. I have never told anyone to use a counter if they wanted to know why their timer did not work.

I have told a bunch of people that their idea was flaky, full of errors, had no documentation, or looked like where a bunch of chickens had been scratching.

Then I always tried to come up with something that would work. Most of the time, my logic did not work because later: "oh, yes, I forgot to mention that blah-blah-blah...". Such is life.

EDIT: I forgot to say that I have been a cotton-picker, and I will never do that again!

Last edited:

clip_image001.gif
Sorry Russb, these are both answers
- the first is the pilot light - the multi colour is the answer.
- the second relates to a method used for the program by the OP.
At no time does it attempt to sell some other MFG's devices.

I agree with the no sales pitches approach, but if a person has bought the lower end product (some 'great' salesman has done this) what do we do.

There is a recent post about programming Smart relays . the OP is now coming to terms with 4 items per rung including the output.

As you know there are many ways of programming.
Someone has a prefferance - that is their way.
I do remember the "Try to use counters" Statement.
it is the OP's choice to ignore it.🍻

**Notice**
If you are in the 20% or if you just "don't get it" PLEASE do not take this personal. It is supposed to be humorous. :)

I, too, missed Russ's point initially, thinking it was oriented at sales pitches. But with clarification, yeah, there's a lot of what I call "richochet" commentary; shooting off in some wild direction.

I ten limit my discussions to threads on instrumentation, HART and Modbus. Modbus threads generally do not follow the 80% rule; they're answered in a most professional manner, but it's a limited group of responders.

HART topics some times get the 80% richochets, I think because the replies reflect someone's recollections of a limited experience or two.

The few 'hard PLC' threads that I read through do many times reflect the 80%.

To Russ's point, one thread from about a year ago had a good explanation of the guy's instrument problem, but I didn't log on until after work; by which time there were at least a dozen comments mostly telling the guy to forget whatever he had, to go wireless.

I did some quick arithmetic and it was obvious that his DC power supply was about 2 or 3 volts short of driving 20mA through a mile of relatively small gauge wire. The calculation even showed that the instrument would fail at about 75% of scale range.

A day later the OP posted that such was the case, he was able to tweak his supply up a couple volts and the signal worked fine across the scale. And it had indeed failed at the 3/4 scale point.

But hey, it's a public forum.

Dan

I'm not a pheasant plucker
I'm a pheasant Pluckers Daughter
I'm only plucking pheasants like a pheasant plucker ortta

---- the second line