Omron Timers and Counters

PLCnewbiE80

Hi Guys..

Appreciate you can help me on this...May i know the max value (TIM and CNT) for Omron PLC CPM2A(SYSWIN) ??Can someone explain to me

I've alerady in the manual that it stated that TIM max value is about 319968ms and not info regarding the CNT. Is this TIM max value that i mentioned it related with TIML ???

Good luck with that. The Omron manuals have some of the most poorly written, unhelpful, and aggravating text that ever was translated to English.

I just now looked for the Timer range values in the CX Software User Manual. It is like the guys writing the manual did not think this is important. Duh! Nowhere is there a simple table showing the different timers and the possible time values that can be used. Well go ahead and keep it secret, all the way into bankruptcy! See if I care!

I am glad that I don't have to use this brand.

The Omron manuals have some of the most poorly written, unhelpful, and aggravating text that ever was translated to English.
Cannot agree. They may be different stylistically, but provide not less information than others do.

I just now looked for the Timer range values in the CX Software User Manual.
The subject is a clear case for reading the PLC Programming Manual, not the Software User Manual.

Timer/Counter SV in CPM1/CPM2 is a BCD word, and being such allows the range of 0000-9999.
The unit value depends on a timer type.

The subject is a clear case for reading the PLC Programming Manual, not the Software User Manual.
Yeah, well, my other manual has even less information. Maybe they translate better in the original language.

Bearing in mind the standard timer timebase is 100ms, so a value of #10 = 1sec, meaning the maximum for the standard timer is 999 sec.

Another tip, in the older PLC's timers & counters used the same allocation area, so do not use Timer #1 & Counter #1.

Timer/Counter SV in CPM1/CPM2 is a BCD word, and being such allows the range of 0000-9999.
Bearing in mind the standard timer timebase is 100ms, so a value of #10 = 1sec, meaning the maximum for the standard timer is 999 sec.
I see, it is all very clear now, somewhere between 999 and 9999 seconds!

I see, it is all very clear now, somewhere between 999 and 9999 seconds!
Lancie1.
Let it go. I did not pick you one for product bashing (n)

With the correct manuals & understanding of how they are structured (like any manual), then one can come to grips with the system.

Lancie1.
Let it go. I did not pick you one for product bashing
I never have, but there are limits! I don't have any problems with the Omron PLC products, but the manuals need a good Technical Writer to edit them and straighten them out (delete about half of the redundant circular sentences). I have worked as a Technical Editior, and if I were younger and in better shape, I would apply for the job. I could make a good case for a crying need.

The subject is a clear case for reading the PLC Programming Manual,...
I would love to have a link to where I can get a copy of this magical manual that has the Omron timer range values for all the different classes of Omron timers.

Last edited:
I never have, but there are limits! I don't have any problems with the Omron PLC products, but the manuals need a good Technical Writer to edit them and straighten them out (delete about half of the redundant circular sentences). I have worked as a Technical Editior, and if I were younger and in better shape, I would apply for the job. I could make a good case for a crying need.
Can agree in some instances on some of the manuals, but the more we have worked with the Omron product, the manuals are easier to understand.
Ofter manuals are lacking the info that the person requires, but not every example can be covered..

I would love to have a link to where I can get a copy of this magical manual that has the Omron timer range values for all the different classes of Omron timers.
Here is the CS/CJ/CP product range instruction reference manual.
http://forums.mrplc.com/index.php?app=downloads&showfile=979
Section 3 is the best place to start.

I find the manuals not too bad and equally as good as the GE-Fanuc manuals - first time with them I was confused. The later manuals for the newer PLCs are much better as they are all vetted outside Japan (US and Europe).
The CPM2A is quite old now and there is no facility for decimal timers and counters. The PLC is BCD/HEX based strictly. The set value for TIM (timer) has a maximum of #9999 (999.9 secs) and the CNT counter is also #9999 (9999).
Also be careful as the timer/counter area is shared and duplication of a nember for a timer and counter will produce unpredictable results. For example, you can only use number 1 as a timer or counter. On these older PLCs I used to start my timers at number 0 and work up and my counters at number 255 and work down.
The newer PLCs (CP1, CJ1 etc) have separate timer/counter areas and there are 4096 of each. You also have a choice of setting up timers and counters as BCD or decimal types. The later CJ2 series allows mixing timers and counters as BCD or decimal types.
The online help in CX-P is fairly basic for the older PLCs but really has been improved for the newer PLCs and is equal or better than other software packages but the newer help files have not been ported over to the older PKCs as I guess there is no point. The older PLCs are virtually not being used any more. I have not used a CPM1/2A for many years now - not since the introduction of the CP1 series in fact.
If I am looking for online help for for one of the older PLCs I open another copy of CX-P and choose a CP1L as the processor - that way I get the latest help files.

Thanks guys for the help and all the info's...Appreciate it a lot..Yes i'm quite agree with you all that some of the OEM's does not emphasize on doing proper manual. It's a horror event for me as new guy to learn PLC. Some of the reference are missing and some misleading information. Well they need to hire expertist specialize on doing technical manuals to do it :)

W353- CPM1/CPM2 Programming Manual:
Thanks, Sergei. I have to say that this Omron manual is slightly improved. At least the Table of Contents page references match with the contents.

omron timers

Can some one please tell me of different timer/timers available for omron besides TIM; if so what is the abbreviation used. Im hoping for one that has more usable bits than just the done bit; such as a timer timing bit.
Best regards Danny