Removeing/Replacing I/O Cards on a Scheduled Controlnet?

BGordon

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi all,

A quick question about removing and replacint I/O cards.

I have a ControlLogix redundant system with two seperate ControlNet links going to seperate areas of the plant, and seperate RIO racks.

One of the CNet systesm is operational and the other is in a state of being changes. We have I/O sdheduled on this CNet link, but it needs to be re-configured (Changes in required I/O have been deemed necessary).

I would like to know what the best way to change over these cards would be? I've inhibited the CNet card in the RIO and added the new cards that were required without a problem, but I'm reluctant to delete cards from the I/O configureation with the system running.

Offline modification is not an option. This plant is operational.

Any advice is welcome.

Thanks

Deleting an I/O card online is inhibited (the option is greyed-out) if it is being referenced in any way, either directly, or via alias tags. So, deleting them from the I/O configuration is not an issue.

I am therefore assuming your issue is that the cards you want to remove are in the ControlNet schedule, and you don't want to interfere with that.

Am I right in assuming you added the new cards into the unscheduled bandwidth? Scheduling new I/O will always require the processors to go to program mode.

If you really can't shut the processor down, then leave the redundant cards in the configuration, and leave them in the chassis, until such time as you can finalise the job.

Deleting an I/O card online is inhibited (the option is greyed-out) if it is being referenced in any way, either directly, or via alias tags. So, deleting them from the I/O configuration is not an issue.

I am therefore assuming your issue is that the cards you want to remove are in the ControlNet schedule, and you don't want to interfere with that.

Am I right in assuming you added the new cards into the unscheduled bandwidth? Scheduling new I/O will always require the processors to go to program mode.

If you really can't shut the processor down, then leave the redundant cards in the configuration, and leave them in the chassis, until such time as you can finalise the job.

Daba,

The CNet in question, even though I/O cards are scheduled, do not have data references in code. Delete is not grayed out, and the CNet in the PLC to the RIO has been inhibited, so there should be nothing trying to communicate to the RIO Rack.

Regarding the schedule, there are seperate files for the two different areas, so this side 'should' be isolated from the active plant. Recreating the CNet topology will have to be done and downloaded to the associated card in the PLC.

I/O in the RIO rack is being moved and/or replaced (IB16D's replaced by IB32's) and CNet cards moved from slot 15/16 to slot 0/1.

Just looking for a 'sanity check' before I click 'Yes' to that delete button. Would hate to fault the processor.

Thanks for your reply.

I/O in the RIO rack is being moved and/or replaced (IB16D's replaced by IB32's) and CNet cards moved from slot 15/16 to slot 0/1.

IB16 - > IB32 when using rack optimized addressing would probably work. I do not have access to set up a test bench
Moving the CNet Card from slot 15/16 to slot 0/1 - That's a biggie - I would expect a reschedule needed.

Have you tried the local distributor?