****/****** to PLC5 Channel 0. Anyone done that before ?

JesperMP

Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
Hi all.

I am about to try and setup a connection via e w o n/t a l k 2 m to a PLC5 via serial and a virtual COM port. The aim is to do remote programming over the internet.
We have used the **** for ethernet comms, but since the PLC5 does not have an ethernet port, I will give the serial port a try.
I can't see why it should not work, but would like to know if anyone has experience with that setup, good or bad, or some hints.

A similar setup would be to the Channel 0 on a SLC5/04. Maybe someone has tried that ?

Thanks in advance for any info into this topic.

edit: Dont know why Phil is censoring e w o n and t a l k 2 m.

I have used the serial port to program Siemens S7-200, the e w o n has a built in server for the S7-200 range. It has servers for various PLCs, you would need to connect to an e w o n to see the range. 'Touch wood' it has been very easy and successful, in fact I have less problems programming that way than by using a 'proper' programming cable. I use the 2005CD and the serial port as standard is set to RS485, there are DIL switches to set it for RS232.

Well what you like to do, is what we already do with a machine in Russia.
We've a e W o n 4005CD with serial port ( not the MPI version!!! ) connected with a PLC5/30.
And have a remote PC connected to de e W o n Lan port.

So I can program and service the machine from anywere were I can connect to the internet, and can also go remote desktop to the PC overthere.

The connection is not as fast as a connection direct on the PLC, but for service and little modifications it's a good sollution.

We have now 2 e W o n's using the T a l k 2 m server, but planning to go the "Indian" methode.

Last edited: