Profibus, Omron PRT21 to PLC7

Nevyn

Hi,

When I search for answers I often come to this site. Although I don't always find what I need, there seems to be a lot of knowledgeable people here so I'll try this one for you all.

I have a Omron CJ2M CPU, with a CJ1W-PRT21 Profibus Slave. It is supposed to communicate with a Siemens PLC7 system, although it doesn't at the moment.

I thought the setup for the communication was mostly done at the Masters end (which sadly is outside of my control on this project). If I open IO Table and Unit Setup in CX-Programmer I can go into unit setup. All the options there are grayed out although I can see drop down menus with the settings I want to use. For example: I would like to change the "Input area code" from "No assignment made" to "EM Area Bank A", then I could gather all the signals there and cross-connect them to wherever I need to use them.

Have any of you guys set up a PRT21 before?
1. Is it all in the GSD file?
2. Are all the settings set at the master?
3. Or am I missing something here?

I've read trough the document W408-E2-02-X+PROFIBUS-DP+OperManual.pdf from Omron, and it tells me how many words I can use, which CIO I have available etc. but I find it lacking in how to actualy set up the PRT21 to work with any masters.

I also looked trough the CX-Integrator and found the logical choice for a master, which has a lot of settings. I could however not find the PRT21 Slave unit in the list of components there.

All hints, tips, suggestions or experiences from anyone that have tried this before is welcome.

-Nevyn

I know it is a relatively new product - to me anyway
Most Profibus devices are used with siemens
- I am busy tonight (Monday 23rd) but I will source the PDF and have a look for you

section 3 of the PDF gives you afair Idea
the slot you fit this card
And to rotary switch position
Are you programming the Siemens also?
load the GSD Files - then all should become clear