allen bradley rslinx who problem

lightning1

i had a virus on my computer that our i.t. department removed.now when i start rslogix5 and do a who active i get a error "Need register file C:\Program Files\Rockwell Software\RSCommon\RSOBSERVE.EXE".also when i click on rslogix5 english in the tool bar it shows up empty.i have to go thru my computer to run rslogix5.thanks for your help.

I think it best you completely uninstall and re-install your Rockwell software products. This sounds like a registry corruption, or the virus removal took out some files it shouldn't have.

I've come across this before - IT departments, even in small companies, often don't know what each department needs to have on their machines, and are usually very, very aggressive on virus removal, if they don't recognise a file or registry object, it often gets dumped. I'm surprised the IT people didn't "Dump and Flush" your PCs, leaving you to put everything back you need. That is a common scenario.

Suggest to them that they take an image of your PCs when you have everything up and running again, they can restore that at any time if it happens again.

This link might give you a little better understanding about what RSOBSERVE.EXE does. I agree with daba on completely uninstall and re-install your Rockwell software products. There are some other avanues but unless you are very computer savy you could cause yourself a lot of trouble. On top of that you do not know what other things the IT department might have done.

http://www.processlibrary.com/directory/files/rsobserv/413423/

It can't hurt to re-register the executable. From a command prompt,

"C:\Program Files\Rockwell Software\RSCommon\RSOBSERVE.EXE" /REGSERVER

If that doesn't work, I agree that you're in for a full OS rebuild and application reinstall.

thanks for everyone's help.i tried the re-register at command prompt with no luck.when i look in task manager under processes i do not see rsobserve.exe listed.so do i just need to reinstall rslinx.my version is classic lite 2.54.00.11 cpr9sr1.can i just use the free download from rockwell for a newer version.the equipment i use this for is plc5E that i look at over net and for panelview 1000 with panelbuilder 32 over dh+

I had a virus on my computer that our i.t. department removed. Now when I start RSLogix5 and do a "who active", I get an error...
I have had the IT Department remove my RSLogix authorization keycode, in the mistaken belief that the hidden file was a virus. This caused an unending stream of problems, glitches, do-overs, restarts, and frustration.

Having an IT Department, and at the same time allowing employees to efficiently use PERSONAL computers, is impossible to get for most companies.

1. First we had the large main-frame central computers, controlled by the IT Department. To use one, you had to have permission from up high, a user account, a password, training, time allotments, and lots of patience. If you wanted a print-out, you had to have a special account to pay for the paper.

2. Then we got PERSONAL computers. To use one, you turned it on and started work.

3. Then we got IT Departments in charge of the PERSONAL computers. To use one, you had to have permission from up high, a user account, a password, security, software, and sensitivity training, network connections, and lots of patience.

4. Now that we have gone full-circle, what's next?