industrial PC failure

johneedw

Hello All,
I've an industrial computer controlling a machine, the(SATA) hard disk has fault, but when i tried to repair it, there are many problem facing me :
1- the computer did'nt include a CD-ROM drive!
2- the BIOS did'nt read the hard disk during (IDE) checking!
3- when i used external usb CD-Drive, the computer see the hard as aboot device but installation cann't complete!
4- i've replaced the hard with a new one but the problem stay the same !
please, advice me for such system and the problem and how to solve them!.. waiting for kind help

The first thing I would do is verify the hard drive is problem or is there some other type of hardware failure.
Use a SATA to usb adapter and with the drive removed, use the adapter to connect to a working pc via usb. Should show up as a removable drive. You should then be able to access the drive and see files on the drive. At this point, I would take the time to backup valuable data.

For all my hard drives in production equipment, I will remove them and make images using drive image software. This has saved me a ton of time recovering from hard drive failures. Burn the image to a new drive and I'm back up and running.

Hope this helps.

gm

Try to start in setup mode like pressing F2 or F1 depending on system just try or look in docs.
this way you can change the boot sequence.

If you are sure its a hard drive issue, I have used a utility named Spinrite from GRC.com to repair drives many times. Its an old utility from a respected author that works very well since the method of accessing the drive's data hasn't changed much in a couple decades. Its about $90US. Spinrite is great and will exercise the drive to find any more flaws, relocating them to good sectors.

Once it fixes the drive I use an inexpensive duplicator from Kangaru to clone the drive to a new one. I prefer hardware duplicators because they duplicate the bits without regard to content. There can be areas of the disk that can't be addressed through software not written to look for it.