PF 40 Messaging

robw53

does anyone has a list of all the settings for the read and write parameters for a powerflex 40 using a 22-comm-E, i am after the fault code read parameter but if there is a list out there that would be even better

rob

To perform explicit messaging to the PowerFlex 40 over EtherNet/IP, arm yourself with the PowerFlex 40 User Manual and the 22-COMM-E User Manual.

The PowerFlex 40 User Manual will give you the actual Parameter Numbers.

The PowerFlex 40 uses the very ordinary Parameter Object, so you can use the ordinary "Read Parameter" Message type that pre-fills the fields for the Service (0x0E, Get Attribute Single) and the Class (0x0F, Parameter), and the Attribute (0x01, Value).

All that you need to fill in is the Instance number which is the Parameter number.

Fault Code 01, Fault Code 02, Fault Code 03 are Parameters 7, 8, and 9.

It's more complex if you are using "multi-drive mode" or need to get Parameters from the 22-COMM-E itself.

i tried those parameter settings and didnt get far so thought i must be way off the mark, as it stands this is how i have the message setup up:

CIP GENERIC
PARAMETER READ
SERVICE CODE: e
CLASS: f
ATTRIBUTE: 1
INSTANCE: 9

DESTINATION: Fault(DINT)

all the other tabs i have left as standard, with path set to the PF40

and all i get is error code 16#001f
extended error code 16#0000_0204
error processing connection related services

Not got the info to hand, rob, but are you sure it's a DINT you are reading ?

That configuration looks exactly correct.

Error code 0x0204 is a "Connection Failure" which usually means there's literally no network connection to the device.

Verify that the drive is otherwise talking to the network; PING it, try browsing it with RSLinx, try opening its address in a web browser.

Try selecting or de-selecting the "Connected" message radiobutton.

Are there a bunch of other devices talking to this drive ? It might have run out of CIP connections, though I think it can handle 5 simultaneously.

Try a simpler message: do a Get Attribute Single to Class/Instance/Attribute = 1/1/1. That's the Vendor Code (1=Rockwell Automation), so the 20-COMM-E itself should respond to the message.

The connections are ok, I'm controlling the drive via the 22-comm-E adaptor so the comms are functioning correctly it's on a test station so connections are not maxed out its just the processor and drive communicating, I will try that in the morning and see if I still get the same fault, I do have a static 6000 between the devices if this could cause problems but I am able to control the device and also read freq. so communications are there.

Can you post screen-shots of your message configuration, I've a gut feeling it isn't a DINT destination you need, I may be wrong, but I think that also causes the 204 error.

Working from memory and gutted I can't find my PF40 manual....

its working now at last, the reason im guessing is that i must have made a mistake when setting up the message which generated the comms fault in the message, once setting the message up correctly and clicking the apply button the fault still remained there, it hadnt cleared the fault as i thought it would when i applied changes that were the correct ones.

thats when i tried using an INT instead of a DINT as daba suggested, but this time i tried it with a new message and it worked and then tried using a DINT again and this also works

so in the end a simple mistake!

cheers guys

i didnt realise that the parameters you use to setup the drive were the same ones you use to message to/from i spend quite abit of time with them and i have most of the crutial parameter numbers embedded in my brain, being young does have its advantages i suppose!

Last edited:
one other thing, i am after a little advice on the best way to achieve this...

i want to log the last 3 faults from a drive, infact around 20 drives so i can display them on the HMI, i would use the faulted tag from each drive to then message the drive and collect the fault, now would you recommend 3 messages collecting parameters 7,8,9 or one message collecting par 7 and use a FFL to then shift the faults along when the next one comes in, also is there any good way to be able to date stamp the fault when it is recieved?