CIP Connection Issues (CompactLogix controller)

kandymann

Lifetime Supporting Member
CompactLogix 1769-L32E

I am having issues involving the Network Status (NS) Indicator on my trainer proccessor.

In the Who Active, there is a red X over my proccessor.

The Module Status (MS) Indicator is solid green, check.
The Link Status (LNK) Indicator is solid green, check.
The Network Status (NS) Indicator is flashing green, x.

Flashing green indicates that there are no CIP connections established. How do I do this? I am tired of not being able to download programs when I want. It also says in the manual that if connections are configured, check connection originator for connection error code.

I am totally stumped here.

Thanks for any help!

on Windows go to "start" the "All programs" then "accessories" then "command prompt" when there type:
ping xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx where xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx is the IP address of your plc, you must receive 4 replies from plc if not received then there is a comm or cable problem between your pc and plc.

on Windows go to "start" the "All programs" then "accessories" then "command prompt" when there type:
ping xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx where xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx is the IP address of your plc, you must receive 4 replies from plc if not received then there is a comm or cable problem between your pc and plc.

Just checked it out and the IP of my proccessor was NOT recognized

I am almost 100% certain the cable is not damaged.

Are the PLC and PC on the same subnet?

At the command prompt type 'ipconfig'
This will tell you what is your IPv4 address, subnet mask, and default gateway.

Compare this with the IP address of the PLC.

if your subnet mask is 255.255.255.0 then the first three octets of your IP address must be the same.

i.e. 192.168.1.1 and 192.168.1.253 are both in the 192.168.1.0 subnet.

10.0.0.1 and 192.168.1.1 are not and won't communicate with each other without a properly configured router.

All this assumes you only have one Ethernet port on your PC.

Are the PLC and PC on the same subnet?

At the command prompt type 'ipconfig'
This will tell you what is your IPv4 address, subnet mask, and default gateway.

Compare this with the IP address of the PLC.

if your subnet mask is 255.255.255.0 then the first three octets of your IP address must be the same.

i.e. 192.168.1.1 and 192.168.1.253 are both in the 192.168.1.0 subnet.

10.0.0.1 and 192.168.1.1 are not and won't communicate with each other without a properly configured router.

All this assumes you only have one Ethernet port on your PC.

Thanks for the info

I may need to reassign a new IP to the controller but I am unsure how to do so.
Thanks

If you have a null modem cable (like the 1756-CP3), you should be able to connect through the serial port an assign it an IP address.