Cimplicity Alternative

nwboson

We've been using Cimplicity for a few years in some fairly sophisticated applications (I guess). The number of bugs never seems to end. We need to find a RELIABLE alternative that doesn't cost a fortune (please no Wonderware suggestions!).

In my last project with Cimplicity I logged another half-dozen new bugs with Cimplicity. It never seems to get any better: there seems to be little evidence that GE is making much investment with this product.

And now I just had Cimplicity eat my project again: I'm so tired of fighting it.

So more than anything I would like to hear from folks about SCADA applications they have implemented with, say, half a dozen PC's or more with remote access capability, half a dozen PLCs (Ethernet), and a reliable SQL connection to log data to a big SQL server.

Our applications use multiple brands of PLCs: GE and Siemens for the most part, some Allen Bradley. Most applications require a connection to SQL to log data 'permanently'. Usually in the hundreds of points.

I think Wonderware and RSView are out of the question due to price. Both seem pretty bloated too, I think.

Indusoft and Ignition sound like possibilities - but sure would be nice to hear from folks that have been through the wringer of actual debugged installations with 6 or so PLCs, 6 or so HMI PCs, web access, and SQL logging...

Who has tails of actual success in medium size projects where they weren't fighting endless bugs? What brands of software actually work out there for a reasonable price (not tens of thousands like WW please)?

Indusoft and Ignition implementers please chime in...

Last edited:
Hi

Can you give few examples of these bugs?

we're considering to shift from control-maestro to cimplicity.
control-maestro is fairly cheap but does not have all the options that cimplicity offer.

My 2 cents, all HMI software got their share of issues. All their sales pitch will tell you otherwise until you are knee deep in it. It really depend on your list of priority and setup to find the one that "suits" you the best. There's always, I repeat, always a catch, IMO, with price or feature.

My 1st question is how important is server/client to you. Is each node stand-alone? How is SQL Server configured, one server or multiple?

I agree with harryting, all HMI software will have issues. I guess it's what the company does in response to those problems that makes the difference. Luckily I believe Red Lion does a very well job of trying to do their best to fix issues. Heck, even the President knows a thing a two about Red Lion software.

Joe_WaZoo

Hi nwboson

Did You try GE iFix software? In my opinion it's easier than Intouch and more advanced than Cimplicity and it has SQL support which is very easy to use. It has drivers for al known PLC's (Ge, Siemens, Omron and much more). From my experience every software and hardware has some bugs:) I always choose what is the best for use for me. The question is what money You can send for the project, how many variables You want to use and what is the sample time of variable You want to have for SQL store? I have IFix in my factory with more 2000 variables which monitor and store to SQL data every 1 second with no problems. I've always try the software in demo to be sure that it handle the application requirements.

Regards