ControlLogix & RSlogix firmware combatibility

grnick50

Lifetime Supporting Member
Dear All,

I have some experience with micrologix and SLC controllers, but I have limited experience (if any) with Controllogix.
This morning I tried to upload a programm from a Controllogix. RSWho found the PLC succesfully, but when I tried to uplod from RSlogix 5000 V17, I got an error saying that the upload is impossible because the controller has firmware 6.2 and that my version of RSlogix5000 does not support it.
I tried to find a list that correlates RSLogix versions with Controllogix firmware versions, but no luck.
Is there such a document?
I am surprised that the new version of RSLogix5000 is not backward compatible with old processors.

Regards

Nik

Yes the major version of the Logix 5000 software much match the firmware revision. Starting with ver. 10, you can have multiple versions of 5000 installed. When you open a project, the correct version of 5000 will automatically open if it's installed. You also can have one pre-ver. 10 installed too. Are you sure you have ver. 6.2? That's quite old.

If you found a list, it would simply state controller version X.zz needs RSLogix5000 version X.yy

You have to have the same major version of RSLogix5000 installed as the processor version number.

Software version 6 is no longer available on the RA website to download, see here

You may be able to download it from various web sources (eg. here), and it will probably work in "grace" period. I doubt that V6 will activate using your existing RSLogix5000 activation, as it used a different method. Someone else will be able to tell you the details on that with more confidence than I.