New Car project with PLC ?

vizina13

I'm looking for some advise, I want to make a car sim automated, As in having a touch screen that has buttons that you can press, one being a start and stop button which would start and kill the car, Another one that turns on/off running lights and head lights. A button the once pressed gives you another screen with data of the car, as in temp, pressure, fuel. I have a Total Control Mini Touch screen and a GeFanuc 30/90 350, input and output relay. Is this possible to do, if so where would i begin.

No, it's not a school project, I haven't done anything so far, My equipment is a mess, the cable from the quick panel is cut so it doesn't have the end, just the wires. I did hook up the power supply and powered up the quick panel to see if it even worked and it does, I found the software to reprogram the sreens, "QuickDesign". I dont know where to start with this, so before i got in too deep i wanted to know if it was possible to get this done with a plc and to work with the touch screen.

More or less here's what i'm trying to do :
Option 1
TouchScreen_
Summary:
Touchscreen that operates fuctions: headlights, running lights, radio power,
Display screen that shows status: Fuel, Oil, Temp, Volts, Alarms for low inputs

Option 2
Voice activated
Summary:
Voice recognition to operate functions: headlights, running lights, radio,
Speech capability that voices status data when asked: Fuel, Oil, Temp, Volts, Warnings
<>
Vocal<Headlights on/off> : Turn on/off Headlights/"only if running lights on = TRUE"
Vocal<Highbeams on/off> :Turn highbeams on/off / "only if headlights on=TRUE"
Vocal<Running lights on/off> :Turn Running lights on/off
Vocal<Radio on/off> :Turns radio on/off
Vocal<Gas Status> : Speech<output from fuel sensor>" Fuel level is ""
Vocal<Oil Status> : Speech<output from oil pressure sensor> "Oil pressure is ""
Vocal<Temp> :Speech<output from temp sensor> "Temp is ""
Vocal<Volts> :Speech<output from volt sensor> "Voltage is ""
Alarms if output sensor devices=l low setting
Speech<Warning "name of senor" has reached a low>

On option 2 i dont think i would need a plc since it would more or less be a speech recognition type software but to control devices, thats where i'm stuck, as in how to make that happen.
So by looking at the options where would be a good place to start at ?
Thanks for any info on this or ideas

the only issue you may have is the Fuel level sensor - if wired wrong you may be in for an unfortunate suprise.

any screen/PLC control system is limited to the supply voltages
usually minimum 24Vdc.

Start/Stop control problems:-
1. Voltage drop - major Issues
2. Switching high current - Major Issue
3. lighting - consider safety - night driving - screen failure.
Consider all to be major issues

As far as voice control you are limited to the quality of voice recognition systems.
These are still in their infancey - getting a lot better though.
I believe Apple has just released an Australian interface - don't have the Iphone 4S for it though.

goodluck

Most of the data you want to monitor would be available from the OBDII port in the car. Have a look at pyOBD which should allow you to access this data using a PC. Unfortunately, some parts of OBDII are manufacturer specific.

Shawn

I am envious....Between work, kid's basketball and indoor soccer, helping with homework, household chores and up keep, etc... I have no time to experiment anymore.......

Why not just do what the CarPC guys do.

www.mp3car.com

Interface with an actual vehicle ODB-II port and use it to provide realtime data to a PC. Could be Linux or Win or Apple.

The problem with going through an ODB-II port is that the car i'm doing this on doesn't have one, it's a 69, so no cumputer what so ever on it, it's all switches, and push buttons that i added myself.
Thanks guys for all the info.

I'm looking for some advise, I want to make a car sim automated
The problem with going through an ODB-II port is that the car i'm doing this on doesn't have one,
Two conflicting statements: I thought you were trying to make an automated car simulator. Now I see that you are only wanting to create a control interface with a real, old car.

Since you have no ODB port, and are looking for a controller of some type, have you considered something along the OpenHardware area ... like an Arduino?