libnodave and detecting S7-300 MMC

tkamrath

I am using libnodave to communicate with a Siemens S7-300. When I put the PLC into stop mode and remove the MMC the daveReadBytes call never returns, locking up my HMI app. Is there any way to detect if the MMC is present? OR is there some other way to get around this?

thanks.

We've got some customers using libnodave in the past having same problems. Using our lib IP-S7-LINK for S7 TCP/IP communication they didn't have any problems like "no return" or hanging. IP-S7-LINK is used to run 24h without hanging and resetting! If you like, can try it. Take a look at www.1a-plctools.com. Here the link to load the driver .Note there is also a doc in english on the site. Even there is module for PHP ...

Can you give me more specifics about what IP-S7-LINK is? Does it replace libnodave? Is it a dll that uses libnodave? Do I have to buy it? Does it have runtime licensing fees of any kind?
thanks.

IP-S7-LINK was released long time before the first version of libnodave was released. So it does not take any use of libnodave. Under Windows there IP-S7-LINK is a dll under LINUX it is a .so - module. You have to buy it. There are licenses for one installation or a royalty free license. There is 24 month developer and upgrade support (phone and email) included. Here you can get manual for IP-S7-LINK. If you need mor informations please connect me. thanks.

It looks like this only works with a CP module and will not talk directly to a PLC with built-in ethernet. I am trying to avoid using a CP module - just one more thing on a crowded rack when I don't need it. That is why I use libnodave. It works fine for this type of simple connect.
thanks anyway.

So for just the minimum functionality to talk to a Siemens 300/1200 via the builtin ethernet what would I need and how much will it cost in U.S. dollars? I would need it to build systems that I sell. A system consists of 1 or more HMIs and one PLC.

Are you asking about hardware ?
If you by "builtin ethernet" mean the onboard PN ports on CPUs like 315-2PN/DP, IM151-8 or S7-1200, then you need no special hardware. It is a standard ethernet interface and you can connect to a LAN or directly to a PC.

If you are asking about software, then what functionality are you looking for ?

Reading your other posts, I guess you are after a programming libraray to enable access to S7.

There are several that are either expensive, or require one license per project, or both.
This one is the only one that I know that is reasonable and only cost for the developer license:
http://www.indi-an.de/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=65&catid=2&Itemid=69
Dont know how good or bad it is.

I think libnodave can work with the onboard PN ports. No personal experience though.

edit: Typo, PC ports should be PN ports.

Last edited:
Hey Jesper, do you know anything about my first question? I really need to figure out if it is possible with libnodave to get around that problem (stopping PLC an removing MMC locks up daveReadBytes).
thanks.

No, I dont have personal experience with Libnodave.
You could try to post on sps-forum.de (just post in english even if it is a german forum). The original programmer of Libnodave sometimes visits that forum.

What if you power off the PLC ? Does Libnodave then handle it properly ?
The reason I ask is that you should NEVER remove the MMC card with the CPU powered up. Regardless of RUN mode or STOP mode.

Do you know why that is? I was under the impression that you could remove it in stop mode. But that would explain a problem we had in a previous system. We have seen it where if you do stop and remove that the persistent data on the MMC is gone, erased, or whatever. If this is Siemens stance that you should not do this then I will just modify my product documentation to warn that this should not be done.

So for just the minimum functionality to talk to a Siemens 300/1200 via the builtin ethernet what would I need and how much will it cost in U.S. dollars? I would need it to build systems that I sell. A system consists of 1 or more HMIs and one PLC.

As stated before, I believe Libnodave works with the onboard PN ports on S7 CPUs (but I dont know for sure since I dont have personal experience with it).

If you are after a comercial solution, then check these links:
http://www.indi-an.de/index.php?opti...id=2&Itemid=69
http://www.deltalogic.de/content/view/21/38/lang,en/

Indian is least expensive (~450 € per developer license, no runtime license needed), but also a relatively new and unknown company.
Deltalogic is more expensive (~3000 € per developer license, no runtime license needed), but they are also experienced and well reputed in the business.