PLC5/30+ENET to CLX Ethernet Comms

IanRobo75

Our client has a PLC5/30 series C processor and the job requirement is to provide Ethernet comms to an L61 CLX processor. The client doesn't want to pay the cost for a PLC upgrade to a PLC5/40E so I'm looking at using an Ethernet sidecar (1785-ENET) that we happen to have spare.

The Ethernet communication with the ControlLogix I had in mind is PLC Typed Read and Write Messages created in the ControlLogix. In addition there would be an Ethernet PanelView 1000 [standard] communicating with both the CLX and PLC5 processors.

So the question is - Does the PLC5/30 need a certain firmware level to support the ENET sidecar and/or the PLC typed read/write MSGs from the CLX and and/or the PanelView comms? If so, can you still get these firmware upgrade kits (chips)?

Yes, I realise that upgrading the PLC5 to a CLX is really a better option but resources and timescale prevent that in this situation.

Complete details are available from the RA Knowledgebase, Answer ID's 61405 and 4417 (the second document requires TechConnect).

A concise answer is that the PLC-5/30 Series C controller needs to be firmware revision K or later to work with the 1785-ENET.

The 1785-ENET itself needs to be a Series C, Series B Rev A (or later), or Series A Rev D (or later) to communicate with ControlLogix controllers.

The downside is that in the past couple of years, RA has changed their PLC-5 firmware upgrade policy and no longer sell the field upgrade kits. Upgrades now have to be done as part of a remanufacturing service. You'll have to talk to your local office or to RA Tech Support to be sure.