RSLogix/OIT Login password problem.

Narlin

Lifetime Supporting Member
This is a problem, not an issue. I am using a C-More OIT which has passwords for a whole screen or single object level and requires a new login for every change. I don’t want to use these because I want the user to put in a password once and be done with it. (kinda like panelview +). There are screens that I want the user to see, but only be able to change values if he is logged in at the proper level.

For a PID screen, that was pretty easy, because none of the PID values could be entered directly from the OIT anyway, so the user could type in a value change, but without clearance, the PLC would just not tell the PID file about the change and the OIT would continue to look at an unchanged value.

For other types of values, for example floating point set points. I could do a similar input check, but it would take two Floated numbers for each input. I don’t know how to stop the OIT from making the change, but I could compare the change to a saved echo value and if the user wasn’t authorized I could force use of the echo value. That would require two Floating point values for every SetPoint.

Question: Is there any way to accomplish the goal with only 1 Floating Point value per set point. I’m looking for an instruction (or rung) that looks for a change since the last scan and lets me change it back. I see that happening at the bit level all the time where some errant rung is holding a bit on and not letting me change it at the OIT, but that isn’t exactly solving my problem.

The thread below about View Studio security has some good ideas about how to proceed. 1) a label mapped to the same display can be placed on top of the button and made invisible when i want to allow the button to be pressed. 2) i may be able to make a see thru object that prevents use of the entire screen until it is removed? These posts are helpful.

Just have them enter and password and compare it to the stored password. If it is a match cool you have access if not the values won't change. Handle all this in the plc.

Just have a rung to compare the password like a EQL instruction then it will turn on a output named authenticted user or something use this addess in bit instruction to keep values from being changed.

To take it further add a timer to this logic so it is only active so long after the password in input.

I can't both view the screen and prevent access to making changes! However, i did find that the over the top display can be made to work if the underlying value is made invisible without login authority.